Photo
- - - - -

if hiding spare truck key IN cab of 2020 F350 - truck get confused?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:36 PM

Hi - I sometimes go camping alone, and the best place to hide a 2nd set of backup keys for our Ford F-350 2020 (Lariat, so it has the keypad for keyless entry) would be IN the cab of the truck somewhere.

however i am concerned the truck would get confused, if there were one set of keys in the truck, (and would sense them) plus my set outside the truck.

would wrapping the keys in foil (?) be enough to make the truck not "see" the keys I had hidden in the truck, as a backup?

or any other clever solutions? so the truck does not 'see' the keys i had hidden in the truck.

just in case i'm out hiking and somehow i lose my main truck keys, so then i'm not 100% stranded in the middle of nowhere.

thanks for any ways to do what I'm after. (hide a backup set of keys IN the truck cab)

(not interested in a magnetic key holder under the truck, for what it is worth)

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 December 2020 - 12:52 AM

I don't have a Ford, but on my Tacoma you can turn the proximity key off using a combination of buttons on the key.  When it is off it won't be detected by the car, but pressing any button on the key will turn it back on. 

Maybe there is something similar for your keys?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 December 2020 - 02:36 AM

Look up faraday cage on Amazon.  Any number of bags, boxes, and pouches that will block the signal.

https://www.amazon.c...sl_98ls07z3du_e

Edited by JaSAn, 13 December 2020 - 02:37 AM.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:32 AM

I've been pondering doing this as well.  Especially when I'm fishing - not sure how the fancy keyless remote for the Ram would do after a dunking...which occasionally happens.  I was thinking of just removing the battery from the spare remote and stashing it in a 2nd location in the cab.  -Vic  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2020 - 06:03 AM

The Faraday cage is the right idea as it blocks radio frequencies.  Depending on the size of what you are trying to shield, I would try an Altoids or Sucrets tin as the container.. Wrap the tin in heavy duty aluminum foil and put the package in a Ziplock bag to be waterproof. You may have all of these already at home.  Cheap & worth a try.

If fishing, put the wrapped package in your tacklebox.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:28 PM

I have a 2016 F-350 Lariat and keep a second set of keys in a lockbox in the center console without issues. Maybe you should try this out in your driveway first to see if there is actually a problem..

This is the updated version of the one I have...maybe it’s its own faraday cage ;-)

https://www.consolev...2017_p_149.html

Edited by smlobx, 13 December 2020 - 08:30 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

No need for anything fancy.  A potato chip bag is typically lined with foil and that works as well.

Look up faraday cage on Amazon.  Any number of bags, boxes, and pouches that will block the signal.

https://www.amazon.c...sl_98ls07z3du_e

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:30 AM

Guys at work typically leave a set of keys in their 2019's with no problem but we don't have the push button start but I do believe they have proximity unlock. You can also get a key made without the key fob and I believe without the proximity chip.

And I have never had a hid a key last on any of my vehicles. The a massive plus for Fords is that key pad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

Not sure if it is trim/model specific, but i have a 2020 F350 remote start, stx package and i always leave a set in the truck. 

I have had no issues with it locking when i lock the door.

In MT we will leave or trucks running in the winter sometimes when it gets really cold say - 10 or so.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users