Propane Capacity?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:28 AM

My Raven shell has two tweener propane cylinders (smaller than 20 lb classic grill tank and larger than the 5 lb-er). I *think* they're 10 pound Manchester cylinders. They are stamped with 14.4 Tare Weight. I weighed them full and they come up with just about 10 pounds more than the tare weight, 24.5.

I developed a system based on those "knowns" where I weigh the cylinder with a luggage scale to make sure I don't cut it too close.

I "ran out" today at lunch. The system cut out and wouldn't restart no matter what temp I raised it to. I shut it off and then turned it back on, but it only ran for a bit because it wouldn't light. 

I pulled the cylinder to confirm my assumptions, but it still weighed a little over 18 lbs. I replaced that cylinder with a full one and it ran just fine. 

I'm trying to figure this out. Is 18ish pounds the real empty weight and not the TW stamped on the cylinder or is the system configured so that it will only run a tank so low? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by eyemgh, 14 December 2020 - 12:28 AM.

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:54 AM

What was the ambient temperature?

At below 20ºF I cannot get a 20# tank to fully empty.  The small tanks just can't maintain pressure at lower temperatures.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:00 AM

Search for "fill propane tank percent" and you will learn that there is an 80% fill maximum.  Therefore your 10 lb tank will contain a useful 8 lb. of propane.

Something to keep in mind when estimating how long that "full" tank will last at the appliance's burn rate.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:12 AM

Turn the tank valve off, turn appliances off, wait 5-10 minutes, then turn tank valve back on slowly.  There is an excess flow check valve that might need resetting.  

I am haunted by waters

#5 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

Turn the tank valve off, turn appliances off, wait 5-10 minutes, then turn tank valve back on slowly.  There is an excess flow check valve that might need resetting.  

YES, try this :)

#6 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:52 PM

I'll give this a try. I do tend to fling the valve open as quickly as I can. 

I don't think it was the cold. It was 40 F at the worst.

The interesting thing is that it worked fine for about 20 minutes.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:18 PM

After turning off the tank, I also disconnect the regulator supply line. I wait a short while and then reconnect and open the valve slowly. In these modern times I think of it as a system reboot.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:03 PM

After turning off the tank, I also disconnect the regulator supply line. I wait a short while and then reconnect and open the valve slowly. In these modern times I think of it as a system reboot.

Thanks! I'll switch back and give it a try.

Also, this happened in the middle of the night once. I thought I was out, but I bet I wasn't. Any way to proactively prevent that?

#9 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:53 PM

After inexplicably not getting propane to flow to my external cooking stove I had to learn the hard way to give an extra firm twist to tighten the regulator hose to the tank. No problem since I started doing that. Lots of intermittent problems before learning that lesson.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#10 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:32 PM

After inexplicably not getting propane to flow to my external cooking stove I had to learn the hard way to give an extra firm twist to tighten the regulator hose to the tank. No problem since I started doing that. Lots of intermittent problems before learning that lesson.

One extra firm twist coming up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users