25 replies to this topic

#21 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

Thanks Vic.

The only concern that could think of for the large residential panels is possible higher susceptibility to damage from vibration on a camper that experiences a lot of rough roads due to the larger span between the supporting frame around the panel.

However, I can conceive of adding some damping material to the mounting (somehow) to damp out some of the vibration of off road driving.  I don't actually know if this is a legitimate concern or not.  I have never read of a solar panel fracturing as a result of a vehicle driving on rough roads.

These larger panels are worth considering for new install.  I think for many campers 160 W is a tad on the not quite enough side if staying in one place for days and if there is any cloudy weather of partial shade during the day or a combination of fan or other 12v use is high (due to hot weather - vent fan or cold weather - heater fan, etc). 

For similar weight and not much more money a 200 watt to 360 watt panel will provide margin against successive days of cloud cover or higher fan use, etc.

I am still crunching the comparison numbers.  ;-)

Edited by ckent323, 17 December 2020 - 08:15 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#22 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:53 PM

If one cannot source locally, what is the cost of shipping a large panel?  When I bought mine, large panels were cost prohibitive because of shipping cost.

Are large panels susceptible to shading the same as smaller panels?  Or are they connected so partial shade does not affect the whole panel.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#23 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:36 AM

In this thread I didn't see mention of lift type - electric or manual.  Anyone considering the heavier glass/aluminum panels might want to test the extra weight first if you have a manual lift.  I have 3 thin flexible panels, two high quality and one average, for total extra weight of about 12 lbs. and 300W.  My gas-strut-assisted lift is still good but I wouldn't put any more weight than that on the roof.

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:40 AM

Thanks Vic.

The only concern that could think of for the large residential panels is possible higher susceptibility to damage from vibration on a camper that experiences a lot of rough roads due to the larger span between the supporting frame around the panel.

However, I can conceive of adding some damping material to the mounting (somehow) to damp out some of the vibration of off road driving.  I don't actually know if this is a legitimate concern or not.  I have never read of a solar panel fracturing as a result of a vehicle driving on rough roads.

The household panels I have used are rated to withstand crazy sized hail and snow loads.  I can personally vouch that driving 100 miles of terrible washboard at speeds high enough to create a dumped out fridge and multiple screws vibrating out of the framing did not damage the solar panel. 

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:41 AM

In this thread I didn't see mention of lift type - electric or manual.  Anyone considering the heavier glass/aluminum panels might want to test the extra weight first if you have a manual lift.  I have 3 thin flexible panels, two high quality and one average, for total extra weight of about 12 lbs. and 300W.  My gas-strut-assisted lift is still good but I wouldn't put any more weight than that on the roof.

Agreed.  I have 80# struts on mine to aid in lifting the panel, canoe and sand tracks on the roof.

#26 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:39 PM

See update to my spreadsheet here:

https://www.wanderth...er/#entry245183

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, FWC, Raven, 100W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users