Tilt bracket for Yakima track mounted solar panel

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:42 PM

Searched topic but could not find post on how to tilt my 160 watts panel mounted in Yakima track. Looked thru most solar mount discussions but didn’t see any mentions. Maybe I am not typing in the correct search words. Any suggestions ?

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:08 PM

I have the factory aluminum roof rack instead of Yakima tracks so my mounting of the solar panel feet is a little different.

I bought the tilt mount components from amsolar.com which worked for me. My mounting was different from most but easy to adapt. Check their website for ideas and give them a call. I found  them knowledgeable and responsive.

https://amsolar.com/...ing-accessories

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

Paul, I have seen your post already and downloaded pics you posted.I am specifically interested in tilting my ZAmp 160 watts panel that is mounted on Yakima tracks. I will call AMSolar as you suggested. Their brackets is a bit pricey but I am sure they are well built.

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

In the mean time you can park into the sun direction and drop the front lift panel to gain the angle.  

Some places will sell premade ones but if you are handy you might be able to make a simple one using a pivot on one side and arms that collapse and extend on the other.  Through pins with clips to hold it.  

There is also a factor in the design as to how hard or easy it is for you to make it tilt at the same time you being safe while doing it.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:32 PM

Dropping one side of the roof may gain 20 degree of tilt, sure. It can help somewhat in some situation, I am a bit handy but lazy too. I was hoping someone had made a tilt setup or found a commercial bracket that is easy to use and secure. Made a call to 4WC for suggestions. I am sure someone has asked this question before, I am surprised that I have not seen anyone post solutions on this forum given the ingenuity of many post in panel mounting.

#6 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

If you're the kind of camper who spends several days or more in one spot, tilting makes sense. I mounted the panel on our first FWC with a piano hinge on the factory rack, but since we meander, staying in one spot for a day or two and then a short trip to another spot, we tilted the panel maybe 3 or 4 times over the 10 years we had the Eagle.

What I do recommend, if you can, is to tilt the panel sideways (high side on either the drivers or passengers side). That way you need only one support to lift the high end (assuming a rectangular panel). With the piano hinge on one end, It was sufficient to use tie downs on the lift end (with rubber pads at the contact points) while traveling.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#7 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

Jack, thanks for the recommendations, but tilting it long way would have the panels site too high. If the wind comes up...not feasible in my opinion. Piano hinges? Not very beefy as far as I can tell. Can you send pics of how you mounted inside the track. I can’t even find the hardware that slides inside the Yakima track anymore. I am looking for someone who has brackets or know how to make one that is secure and easy to deploy. I really need pictures of brackets and parts needed to tilt front to back up to 40 degrees and with adjustable angles.

Edited by muttmaster, 18 December 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#8 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:34 PM

Sorry, we upgraded to a Fleet and no longer have the Eagle for pictures.

I used a heavy duty stainless steal piano hinge bolted to the FWC rack. That anchored the panel very well. With Yakima tracks, my thought would be to bolt the under edge of the panel frame to a piano hinge and then the hinge to a 1 1/2' x 1 1/2" or 2" x 2" aluminum bar. Attach the bar to the underside of the tracks with U bolts. The panel then travels between the tracks. A similar aluminum bar mounted to the top edge of the panel with brackets on the side of the frame, so that the bar sits on top of the tracks. U bolts with wing nuts to attach the bar to the tracks.

I used two 1" x 1" aluminum angle bars attached to the front jack mounts to lift the panel (it lifted to face the front of the truck and the lift edge of the panel was bolted to a 6' bar that reached across the roof. That bar also anchored the panel in the down position. Depending on what you have for fan vents and track locations, you may not be able to use the jack mounts. In that case, I can imagine two short 1" x 1" aluminum angle struts that are anchored to the bar at the top of the panel and the tracks with heavy duty re-usable plastic ties. Perhaps sever struts of varying length.

The above 262 word description is way short of the 1000 words of a picture, but I hope this helps.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#9 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 11:13 PM

Jack, thanks for trying to help, but I lack a engineering degree and imagination. Your description was loss on me.

4WC called back. Shawn informed me that no one has asked about tilting the panel before. He also said that it won’t make that much difference anyway. I beg to differ as the Winter solstice coming up in few days. Tilting panel toward the low angle sun can double or more amp input to charge controller.

I didn’t want to fuss too much about making the panel tilt as i do have a 100 watts suitcase that I use on occasion in the winter or when I am parked in the shades.

Shawn also informed me that no manufacturer makes a tilt bracket for the Yakima track. Guess I will just play around and experiment a bit to see if I can come up with a simple tilt system.

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 December 2020 - 11:50 PM

Paul, I have seen your post already and downloaded pics you posted.I am specifically interested in tilting my ZAmp 160 watts panel that is mounted on Yakima tracks. I will call AMSolar as you suggested. Their brackets is a bit pricey but I am sure they are well built.

====================================================================================

Hey mutt,

Like Paul I am dealing with AM Solar in the process of installing an AM Solar Zamp 170w second panel...my 'factory' [FWC] rails are the Yakima Rails and the tilt package from AM Solar will only work with their L-Feet/adapter combo using threaded knob attachment to panel and tilt bars.

Like many have said with a little time I bet you could fabricate a set of tilt arms for your panel...BUT you will still need some type of pivoting attachment to the panel...for when you tilt it...my Zamp 170w uses a 19.5 inch set of arms for a 45 degree tilt....my current efforts at installing the new panel may lead to me not being able to tilt the panel...long story...and a miscalculation on my part..

Phil

Ps...Learn from my mistake, the Yakima rails are slightly too wide apart for the Z170w panel to fit squarely on the roof and to use the AM Solar / Zamp Omni rail mounting system on the outside of the rails...I should have off-set the panel 3 inches to either side of the rails...

PPs...Mutt...view the AM Solar DIY videos, things will make more sense..

Edited by Wallowa, 19 December 2020 - 12:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users