• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:40 AM

My experience with using those tapes is that getting the materials you are joining nice and warm (not hot) in addition to having warm ambient temperature really helps to get the best possible bond. It’s good you are waiting for the right conditions.

Edited by Jon R, 16 January 2021 - 03:41 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#22 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:08 PM

I just want to add some actual experience info, lowering the roof as a method to tilt your solar panels. I spent 3 weeks in the Big Bend area during the end of January, which is pretty far south, so those up north may not experience the same type of result. I have two Renogy 100 watt solar panels on the roof of my FWC Hawk. On this trip I made a point of always facing my truck south. When I woke up in the morning I would flatten out the bedcovers and then drop the front section of the roof. I was still able to move around and do everything in the camper. I'm 5'8" tall.

Here's what I learned, using the amp meter on my solar controller. Early morning, with the sun in the east, I saw a 0.5 amp gain, immediately dropping the roof. As the sun moved across the sky it would quickly increase to 1.0 and and then by mid day it would max out at about 2.0 amp gain. I took a rest day, hung around camp and read, while checking the readings. As the day progressed and the sun moved westward the amp gain would decrease just as it increased in the morning.

If I drove to a trail head, I would also try to park facing south if possible and raise the rear of the roof before heading out on the trail. There was a side benefit to raising the rear of the roof before hiking, that being, when finished hiking I was able to grab a beer very quickly, since my top loading refrigerator is mounted in the rear of the camper. 

Anyway, I thought it was worthwhile tilting the roof.

The other issue I found significant was cleaning my panels. I did lots of driving on dusty roads and my panels would get covered with a thin layer of fine dust. I brought along a telescoping pole with a wash mitt on it. Dusting off my panels, gave me a 0.5 amp gain mid day. There was still a slight film but I didn't have a ladder to really wash the panels, so I can't speak to that.

But why does dust blow onto the panels on dusty roads, but won't blow off when driving on pavement no matter how fast I drive?????  :D

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#23 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:22 PM

But why does dust blow onto the panels on dusty roads, but won't blow off when driving on pavement no matter how fast I drive?????  :D

electricity. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users