16 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:56 PM

I’m a fan of cereals and flour mixes from Bob’s Red Mill, and this seems like a good time to start a thread (I’m hungry and it’s pancakes this morning).  Yes, there is a real Bob...

Some of my favorites are:

• 10 Grain Pancake and Waffle Mix
  • Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Mix
  • Any of Bob’s oat cereals

I am haunted by waters

#2 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

I'm a big fan of Wheat Montana flour and cereal myself.

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2020 - 04:04 PM

+1 on Bob’s buckwheat pancakes and oats products but +2 on Bob’s yellow grits, especially with a couple of eggs over easy on top.

Did I say grits? I really meant to say Polenta. That’s Italian for grits. Sounds more couth for all yall that didn’t grow up with country ham, eggs and grits in North Carolina.  :D

Saturday morning breakfast in Bob’s Red Mill in their store/restaurant in Milwaukie, Oregon is a treat if that ever becomes a possibility again.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 20 December 2020 - 05:06 PM

Attached File  IMG_0021.jpg   130.9K   29 downloadsAbsolutely on the Polenta/Grits... mostly a matter of how long you want to cook and stir.  Have tried others, but this one works great every time and no lumps.  Grits and Greens with Poached Egg on top.  Yummy

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 December 2020 - 05:10 PM

It's Bob's Red Mill when I make pancakes for the Lady when out and about.

• 10 Grain Pancake and Waffle Mix
  • Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Mix

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:21 PM

I'm a big fan of Wheat Montana flour and cereal myself.

Roger that!  Wheat, Montana is one of our required stops when in western MT.  

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:27 PM

We have used a lot of Bob's products for years.

They have a great selection of products.

Their  granola is very good.

Just had breakfast ,2 poached eggs on avocado toast.

But just thinking about all the good Bob's products is making me hungry again.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 10:24 PM

I used to work for the company that owned the company that supplied oats to Bob’d.

#9 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:48 PM

PaulT's +2 rating in his post above caught my eye so I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill yellow grits at my local natural foods store yesterday.

I had very tasty Old-Bay-dusted grilled shrimp on Bob's yellow grits for supper last night.

And of course there were leftover grits so today's lunch was fried grits-and-bits (grits and bacon bits) cakes with over-easy eggs.  I really liked how the grit-cakes kept their heat the whole way through the meal.  Nice!

There's still some grits left so tomorrow I'm going to try another recommendation I saw somewhere.... yellow grits with salt and pepper and little bit of soy sauce.

Edited 12/24 to add--

I had the salt and pepper and soy grits for lunch yesterday.  Excellent combination!

I love how versatile and easy (and cheap!) grits are.  Very quick and easy prep. Leftovers store well and are easily then molded into cakes for frying or returned to their initial consistency by heating them in a saucepan with just a bit of water or milk.  And so far I've had them for three meals and only used one third of the bag... and it was only $3.29.

I normally only have grits on my Florida winter trips.  Whenever I get anywhere near the Florida panhandle I include a meal at the dining room at Wakulla State Park for their excellent shrimp and grits.  Those are white grits and that's why I was very interested to try the yellow ones with shrimp and happened upon the video I linked to above.

How to Reheat Grits (The Right Ways)

Edited by Old Crow, 24 December 2020 - 03:13 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:42 PM

As a Northerner, I had to look up what GRITS were.  Now I know more than before:

https://grandbaby-ca...e-grits-recipe/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users