• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 December 2020 - 06:25 PM

I ask this in hopes of not having a "done something really stupid" story to submit. I've search the forums looking for instances where a camper jack collapsed, and why, so that I may avoid it happening to me, but I haven't found any horror stories, and I worry.

I have a large level, flat and smooth floor in my shop. I am able to back the truck in where I can mount and dismount my FWC and move it to a corner out of the way when not in use.

I have mounted large casters on the feet of the jacks. Once the truck is out from under the camper I lower the jacks to their lowest position, then slide a hydraulic lift table under the camper from the back and lift till the the rear jack casters are just off the floor. I can then roll the camper around the shop with some of the weight on the front jacks casters and the lift table supporting most the weight in the back.

Does this sound reasonably safe?

I feel pretty confident once the camper is lowered and supported by the lift table, it's when I am raising and lowering the jacks that I have the most concern. Did I raise or lower one jack too much before adjusting another. Because of the casters the individual jack legs are able to move a little as they are raised and lowered creating the potential for something to fail and the jack to scoot out from under the camper.

I really don't have any feel for how much margin of error there is in the process. Has anyone had a jack fail? How stupid does one have to get to topple their camper over?

/2

#2 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:00 PM

Overall the jacks are pretty sturdy. I would be more concerned about the casters you put on them. I would be concerned that it might “slip” while raising or lowering. Can your table carry the weight of the camper? You might consider getting or building a dedicated dolly.

#3 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Overall the jacks are pretty sturdy. I would be more concerned about the casters you put on them. I would be concerned that it might “slip” while raising or lowering. Can your table carry the weight of the camper? You might consider getting or building a dedicated dolly.

Yeah, I think the casters are the weak link too but it sure makes things easier, I just don't how much risk they add. If I heard a few horror stories I might be better able to judge. 

The lift table has a half ton capacity and has caster wheels of it's own. Once it's on the table it's easy to move around.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:26 PM

Some years ago, this topic came up, and if memory serves, FWC (Stan) recommended not using casters because of the potential of a sudden stop damaging the camper at the mount.

Found it

I have not seen anything good come from putting caster wheels on the end of each camper jack.

I like the idea, and I have even tried something similar at the trade shows to load/unload multiple campers and move them around by myself when setting up.

But that said, every camper I have ever seen come in the shop like that will eventually tweak the jack bracket, or the camper frame, on one corner or another.

Practice might be the only thing to make loading and unloading easier.

A camper dolly would be the best way to move the camper around in the garage.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping.

:)

I am haunted by waters

#5 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:46 PM

Some years ago, this topic came up, and if memory serves, FWC (Stan) recommended not using casters because of the potential of a sudden stop damaging the camper at the mount.

Found it

Not what I wanted to hear but exactly the sort of thing I needed to hear! Thanks sagebrush!

#6 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:03 AM

I really don't think it is good for the jack mounts long term. The jack mounts on my old camper were very wobbly when I bought it used. The wood the brackets were screwed through had cracked and splintered over time. I welded up new mounts and installed them. 7 years later they are getting loose with the exact same issue. An this is just from using regular jack stand bases.

Even if you have the newer style jack mounts I think the long term extra wear and tear would destroy the aluminum frame.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#7 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:23 PM

Even if you have the newer style jack mounts I think the long term extra wear and tear would destroy the aluminum frame.

I think you are probably right Kolockum, it's time for me to rethink my approach.

My rolling lift table supports most of the weight once the camper is on it, but I can't get it far enough under to take all of the weight off of the front jacks, so they are still seeing some stress as I move it around.  Maybe some additional bracing struts that can easily attach to the front jacks and the camper body? Probably just setting it on a dolly would be the best approach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users