#1 TRDCAMPER

TRDCAMPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:20 AM

Hey Community,

I have questions about how I can utilize the tools I have to power my FWC Finch setup. I think this is a pretty cool way to keep power that requires little electrical knowledge - of which I have zero. Looking forward to some input from the veterans here. 

Tools:

21' Tacoma w/ the bed power plug > 400 watts car running. 100 watts car off

Goal Zero Yeti 1400

09' FWC Finch w/ icebox, propane heater, water pump, lights and currently no battery installed. 

Ramblings:

-Goal Zero > love all that power in a tight space and the modularity w/ a Dometic powered ice chest for non vehicle trips, houseboat as example.

-Adding Solar/batteries > If the GZ Yeti car charging kit ever comes back, I don't see the value of adding add'l weight of batteries or adding solar w/ no guarantee of sun based on my power needs. Will eventually add solar but trying to avoid more money and holes in the camper.

-GZ battery location > fits nice and snug to right of entry and underneath the rollover couch.

-Tacoma bed power source > Ends up being right next to GZ battery storage, super convenient for charging @ 400 watts w/ car running. Could route cables through tie down doors worse case scenario.

-RV hookup: Somehow I think it is important to note that the Finch has a RV hookup.

-Powering Finch through RV hookup + GZ Yeti > I was curious, so tried, it worked. GZ yeti mentioned that I could power the camper for 11-15 hours @ 100-130 watts constant power. 

-Power consumption > While I have not calculated I have the camper, the dometic ice chest, iPhones, MacBook, rechargeable flashlights, ARB awning w/ light.

-Power period > Max off grid would be 3 nights. Most often 2 days and 1 night power needs.

Questions:

[Q1] Is it as simple as converting the FWC car battery cable to a 30Amp Anderson Power Pole connector and connecting to the Goal Zero Yeti?

[Q2] Are there other community posts related to the topic of combining solar to a GZ Yeti Battery?

[Q3] Are there other community posts related to the topic of powering a camper with a GZ Yeti battery?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2128-2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Goal Zero, battery, etcrical, solar, FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users