• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:39 PM

I have a Grandby on order and am planning a lithium battery installation (and associated charger changes and solar panels) immediately after delivery.  I wanted to see if I could fit two Battleborn 100Ah batteries in the compartment, so I went to my dealer's showroom (Mule Outfitters) to measure the battery compartment of a 2020 Grandby slide-in front dinette they have there. 

I thought others might find the information useful so I am posting it.  The dimensions should be the same for a Hawk front dinette because the cabinetry is the same between those two models according to the dealer. 

North-South dimension is 22 inches (part of the enclosure extends a couple inches further North, but is useless for battery installation purposes), East-West dimension is 9.5 inches, top to bottom is 19.5 inches.  The camper I measured had the Chevy notch, and the floor of the battery compartment was raised so only about 1/2 inch of the floor was lost along the West side to the angled notch (hopefully that's clear).  (Update: in the Southeast corner of the compartment (just inside the door to the left) there are multiple wire bundles that take up 2x2 inches from the bottom to the top.) 

The Battleborn 100Ah battery is 12.75"Lx6.875"Wx9"H, so two won't fit if installed in the conventional orientation with the connections on the top.  However, the Battleborn manual says the battery can be installed in any orientation.  It appears I could fit 2 installed on their ends with the terminals facing each other.  The door opening dimensions are 16.5 W x 17.5 H, so getting them through the door should be no problem.  I'll figure out how to secure them once I actually have the camper and batteries. 

Anything I'm failing to consider here as far as physically fitting and wiring up two BB 100Ah batteries in that compartment?  I know if I install the batteries with the connections facing the door the space will be tight for the wire connections, but I suspect that could be addressed safely.  The area of the door opening adds another 1/2 inch to the East-West dimension because the door is face-mounted, which would give some extra room for wiring.  I suspect I'll install the other way with the "tops" of the batteries facing each other, so there will be plenty of room for wiring and the wiring will be better protected.  

Edited by Jon R, 14 February 2021 - 06:16 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:38 AM

My battery compartment:

battery shelf

If you mount them with the terminals facing each other, how will you get at them to modify, tighten the connections?  What about the risk of them shorting to eachother?

Edited by Vic Harder, 29 December 2020 - 12:39 AM.

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for the response, Vic.  I've been reading many of your posts on batteries, MPPT solar chargers, and DC-DC converters. 

Good questions. 

If I mount them with the terminals facing each other and push them as far apart as possible in the compartment, there will be about 4 inches between them.  It would be tight to make connections but I think it would be doable.  The batteries could be rotated a bit to help access to make connections before they are secured in position.  If I install them facing each other I would put some sort of blocking between them to positively keep the batteries in place and keep them apart while still allowing cooling. 

I'll have to make a final decision about how to mount them when I actually have them, but by measuring today at least I know there are two possible ways to do it.  A third possible configuration would be two stacked on their sides with the terminals toward the door.  This would leave a bunch of usable volume in the compartment for other equipment, but might cause cooling problems.  

I definitely am concerned with keeping them in place (and apart) both in off-roading motion/vibration and in a crash.

I don't see anything in the Battleborn installation manual about them needing a specific amount of air space around them for heat dissipation.  Do you have any information or experience to offer on cooling considerations?

Jon R

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:26 AM

Never really considered the cooling requirements.... I’ve always been more worried about them getting too cold! Would you have room in the battery compartment for the MPPT controller?

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:09 AM

There would be room I think to mount both the solar charger and the dc-dc charger, but the question will be whether they all can be mounted in a way that allows the needed access to everything. I want to be able to remove the batteries without disturbing a charge controller. I’ll have to draw some sketches based on my measurements.

Jon R

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:18 AM

I have a 2014 Hawk Front dinette. My battery compartment is essentially identical to the Grandby. The battery compartment is designed for two Group 24 AGM batteries. The BattleBorn 100 aH is essentially a group 27 form factor. For that reason, I went with two BattleBorn GC2 100 aH batteries. Width and length are close to the Group 24 AGM.  Height is taller but there is room. 

Even so, I removed the 1/2" square trim piece in the bottom front of the battery compartment to ensure room. It is tight but mine have not complained about elbow room. heat has not been an issue as that space is vented well and we are not pulling many amps. The Iota is in the same space with a cooling fan to stir the air around.

The GC2  batteries are a little more expensive but, if buying directly, ask if they can drop te price some. If they are having a promotion on the 100 aH units, they may well help you out some.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

What are you using for a controller/monitor?
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#8 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:30 AM

Jon R

A 100ah BB + a 50ah BB would fit nicely in that compartment They do under the seat in a Hawk front dinette. 

Update 1/14/21: BattleBorn told me this week you can’t mix 100’s and 50’s

Edited by BrianG, 15 January 2021 - 06:11 AM.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:42 AM

What are you using for a controller/monitor?

I’m using the Bogart SC-2030 PWM charge controller and the Tri-Metric 2030-RV battery monitor. I had these for my factory AGM batteries. I have a Grape Solar 160 watt and the 100 watt Zamp provided by FWC in the solar package. This package worked well for the factory AGM  It took some time working with Bogart Engineering to configure them for the BattleBorn batteries but they are working well now. 

If I were starting with the Overland Solar MPPT charge controller with their solar panel, I would have bought the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor instead of the Bogart.  

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 29 December 2020 - 08:43 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:33 PM

I'm still doing research and learning, but right now I'm tentatively planning to use three 160 watt panels mounted between the vents to slightly "overpanel" a Victron Smart MPPT 100/30, with an Orion TR 12/12-30 isolated DC-DC charger for alternator charging, a Victron IP65 15 amp shore power charger, and a BWM-712.  I'm thinking I'll increase the wire size from the truck to the battery compartment to 6awg to avoid having to use a hard trigger on the Orion, but may change that plan. 

If I mount the two batteries standing on their ends at one side of the compartment with terminals toward the door, there should be room the mount the MPPT and the Orion on the West wall of the compartment next to the batteries.  However, I need to consider the BWM-712 shunt installation, which might change this plan.  I have a May camper delivery so I have some time to consider this. 

I am aware of the GC2 battery version and will consider that option as well. 

I'm feeling some pressure to figure out my configuration and order items before I receive the camper in May because I'm anticipating a run on RV products like what happened last Spring. 

Jon R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users