• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:45 PM

As a member of the forum, I went from saying 'well, I'll grab some caulk for that' to saying, 'let me grab the 3M 4200.'  

I've also learned not to use silicone caulk on the exterior of my FWC and to use either the 3M 4200 or Sikaflex.  

I also found out that there are tapes out there that will replace screws including 3M VHB tape RP25.

There are so many products out there, and I'd be interested to hear your go-to interior and exterior sealant or adhesive and what applications you use them for.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:04 PM

Good idea for a thread!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:40 PM

I realized that I didn't really follow my own suggestion!

3M 4200

This is a polyurethane product, and I use this as an exterior sealant for screws and fixtures such as the metal drain valve replacement.  Followed Vic's suggestion and carry a small tube when I travel.

https://www.3m.com/3...91170224&rt=rud

3M™ VHB™ Tape RP25

This is a double sided foam tape that I've used to adhere metal and plastic with good results thus far. 

https://www.3m.com/3...93240953&rt=rud

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:49 PM

Good idea!

It might also be useful to include vendor information such as pricing, minimum amounts you must order, customer service. etc.  For instance, I may not need a 55 gallon drum of Sikaflex or 100 yards of VHB to touch up the sealant around the roof vent.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

I always go between Sitka Flex and 3M 3200. Any hatch or window I use butyl tape during the instillation. Hard to go wrong with any of these options.

To coat the entire roof I use Hengs Alkyd Fibered Roof Coating. 

This stuff can be bought just about anywhere RV Dealerships, Marine stores, Amazon. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:18 AM

The smaller tubes are nice and portable.  I went to use some 4200 yesterday and found I could not (even after some diligence) get fresh 4200 to come out of the tube.  Only about 5% of it was used.  Getting a great seal on a partially used tube or cartridge is not easy!

#7 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:04 AM

The smaller tubes are nice and portable. I went to use some 4200 yesterday and found I could not (even after some diligence) get fresh 4200 to come out of the tube. Only about 5% of it was used. Getting a great seal on a partially used tube or cartridge is not easy!

It certainly is not. I always tell myself I should just throw away the tube after I use it...the miserly part of me wins and I do not. I start a new project and then find out I can’t get any fresh material out!

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:11 AM

Vic,

Have you tried either double bagging in ZipLocks or sealing with a vacuum packer?

I have a similar complaint and have single bagged in ZipLock bags. One bag does seem to extend the useful life of an opened tube. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:48 AM

I have a boat.  Sealants are well researched in the boating community.  That written there is still a lot of uniformed and incorrect opinion "shared" in boating forums and blogs on the internet. 

It is important to understand which sealant/adhesive (including tapes like VHB or Butyl) to use for various materials and combinations of materials if you want the joint or whatever to last and not fail or leak.  This is why, beyond competition, there are so many sealant/adhesive and even VHB tape choices. There are many different applications and materials that are best accomplished with sealants/adhesives/tapes formulated for those applications and materials.

For instance never use a polyurethane with Acrylic or Polycarbonate materials.  The polyurethane attacks and damages the plastic.  Similarly with acetic based Silicone caulks. There are sealants/adhesives (mostly special or hybrid Silicone formulations) such as Dowsil 795, GE SSG 4000 and Sikaflex 295 (with 209 primer) specifically formulated to work with plastics without causing damage to the plastics. I and many others have researched the sealants/adhesives to use with plastics extensively.  However, the reason why these are the best adhesive/sealants for plastics and even which is preferred in a given application requires more detail than is appropriate for this comment space.

The bottom line is that sealant/adhesive selection is important relative to the materials you are using it with and the application you are using it for and there is not one (or even 2 or 3) best sealant(s).

Here are some web sites, including a few with comparison tables, that I found helpful and which have more in depth information if anyone has interest in digging deeper.

Handbook of Adhesives and Sealants (cvut.cz)

adhesivesguide.pdf (freemansupply.com)

Marine Caulking Products Guide - MyBoatsGear.com

Marine Sealant Adhesion Tests - Practical Sailor (practical-sailor.com)

sealant-table.gif (800×437) (boatus.com)

Screen-shot-2015-04-14-at-17.12.17.png (958×698) (timeincuk.net)

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 01 January 2021 - 01:40 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#10 Dadocut

Dadocut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast of CA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:56 AM

Craig, Those are great resources.  I've used BoatLife's Life Seal.  It's been great for sealing around hatches as it stays soft and can be lifted out with a putty knife so one can repair/replace the hatch or what not.  It's not good to get it on your skin though.  The fellow I bought my Hallmark from said Hallmark recommends it.

I'd add Whitlam's Blue Magic thread sealant to your list.  Threaded fittings, particularly plastic threads, have caused me all sorts of problems with plumbing.  I always thought one was to use teflon tape.  This article (https://www.linkedin...s-larry-workman) explains why teflon tape is a poor choice.  The article states one needs four things for sealing plastic threads in a water system:

• safe for plastic (many are not)
  • non drying (allows one to adjust the threaded fitting for alignment after tightening it)
  • non lubricating (otherwise it's too easy to over tighten the plastic threads.  Many sealants have teflon or PTFE for lubrication).
  • Water safe (i.e. meet NSF 61 standard)

It's surprising how hard it is to find  something that meets all four requirements.  Nothing from Loctite, Rector Seal, or Permatex fit the bill.  Whitlam's Blue Magic Sealant was the only one I could find.  So far it's worked great for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users