Photo

Who makes a Camper that meets the following criteria?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:25 PM

I have a FWC Hawk shell, with a front dinette. It has a N/S king size bed, there is a ton of storage in the dinette plus I added two DIY cabinets for clothes and food. The dinette converts to a single E/W bed, 6ft long which allows sleeping with top down for one person.

I've been a full-time RVer for more than 22 years, but not in my truck camper, I live in a motorhome and tow the F150/FWC behind it. I love camping in my FWC and have taken trips up to 6 weeks in it, did a 3 month trip in another skamper pop-up truck camper in 1995. I know people do full-time in small truck campers, I just don't know how they do it long term. Living is different than camping. So if you are planning to travel and camp for a year or so, I think with good planning one of the truck campers mentioned will work. If you are truly planning to give up the sticks and brick life style and live full-time on the road, you may want something a little larger. I think a well appointed camper van might be a better way to go, if you want to stay small.

Any way, just my two cents, Good luck

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#12 GunshipDriver

GunshipDriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:46 PM

I have a FWC Hawk shell, with a front dinette. It has a N/S king size bed, there is a ton of storage in the dinette plus I added two DIY cabinets for clothes and food. The dinette converts to a single E/W bed, 6ft long which allows sleeping with top down for one person.

I've been a full-time RVer for more than 22 years, but not in my truck camper, I live in a motorhome and tow the F150/FWC behind it. I love camping in my FWC and have taken trips up to 6 weeks in it, did a 3 month trip in another skamper pop-up truck camper in 1995. I know people do full-time in small truck campers, I just don't know how they do it long term. Living is different than camping. So if you are planning to travel and camp for a year or so, I think with good planning one of the truck campers mentioned will work. If you are truly planning to give up the sticks and brick life style and live full-time on the road, you may want something a little larger. I think a well appointed camper van might be a better way to go, if you want to stay small.

Any way, just my two cents, Good luck

I appreciate the insight! Good things to think about. I understand that storage is a limiting factor as well weight and had considered possibly a 8' FWC Grandby for the extra space. That said, I think while it does provide another 1.5' to stretch out in living wise it doesn't necessarily account for that much more storage (unless I add containers or something). That said, I am not sure the 1.5' overhang, additional weight, and unaesthetic appeal is worth it...

#13 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:13 PM

As someone who spends a good deal of time out and about, and have had many 

types of rigs (vans, 4wc popups, six pack hard side campers, and 2 northstar

pop up campers have to say the north stars are hard to beat.

Full size bed with real mattress, more storage than any other camper of

its size.winter package is available if you spend cold time on the road.

We have had zero problems with both of ours.

Did i mention full size mattress!!

Just my opinion yours may differ.

Les lqhikers

Also have a great new year!

Edited by lqhikers, 31 December 2020 - 09:16 PM.

#14 GunshipDriver

GunshipDriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 11:20 PM

As someone who spends a good deal of time out and about, and have had many
types of rigs (vans, 4wc popups, six pack hard side campers, and 2 northstar
pop up campers have to say the north stars are hard to beat.
Full size bed with real mattress, more storage than any other camper of
its size.winter package is available if you spend cold time on the road.
We have had zero problems with both of ours.
Did i mention full size mattress!!
Just my opinion yours may differ.

Les lqhikers

Also have a great new year!

Thanks! It's funny but in the last 12 hrs I think I arrived at the same conclusion... my target is a Northstar 650. I'm thinking TC650. The SC doesnt have enough "downstairs lounge space" for my liking.

It's hard to resist the other quality TCs that "pop-up" on the classifieds but I will remain steadfast! I need to figure out if I care or if it matters to me how old or new of a camper I get...

#15 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:31 AM

Gunship driver;

Both of the north stars we bought were very lightly used, the last one never used.(stored inside since orig. buyer bought)

One thing to think about is the lift type, new one's have electric lift.

We wanted to stay with mech. lift so held out for used one, took awhile but shorter time than build time for new one.

We ended up with one fully loaded, solar, a.c unit, grey water holding tank.rear awning.hot water heater, furnance,

3-way frig.,2 burner stove, led lights,17 gal water tank.

Ours is  model 600SS which comes wired with eng. batt. charging setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users