10 replies to this topic

#1 VittoZ

VittoZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

I have a new Four Wheel Camper 2020 Hawk shell on order for a build out. I guess it may be a 2021 now that I think about it since I ordered it in November 2020 but will not receive it until September 2021, thank you COVID-19.

The long delay hasn’t stop me from accumulating components. I pretty much have every major component for the build less the lithium batteries. I even have the 80/20 for the interior framing. I did a fairly elaborate Victron setup in my fifth wheel with a CerboGX and 600 Ah of Battle. Borne storage an 800 watt of solar from the great folks at AM Solar. Struggling against the geek in me to keep this FWC build simpler ... going with Redarc this go round, a pair lithium batteries and Overland solar panels, flex and folding.

Found great information on this forum for the flex solar panels, so I signed up. What I really need are some actuate interior dimensions. My hope is that some one can help with info from their Hawk Shell buildout.

One other item I need is the slot center to center distance for the roof Yakima tracks. FWC factory said approximately 57-3/4” and my dealer said 58” can anyone confirm from thier Hawk unit?

I am looking forward to sharing build info and pictures along the way on this forum.

VittoZ

#2 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

Hi Vitto,

Welcome (almost) to the cult.   Check out Bill's build  on his Hawk

There used to be an Ultimate Camper Build thread pinned on one of the Forum Headers. Now I can't locate it.  Send a PM to one of the moderators and ask them its location. "Ski3pin" or "MarkBC".

My Eagle Fleet build ideas can be used on any of the campers. Click on the link under my signature to access it.

Lastly, before you start building, use it a few times to get an idea of what works in it.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:32 AM

I'm happy with the way my build turned out.  Did a Hawk previously and used almost the same design.  See my sig.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:45 AM

Here’s the camper build thread.  

I am haunted by waters

#5 VittoZ

VittoZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:46 PM

Looked through the builds, but couldn’t find a reference on the distance between Kakima track slots, slot center to center on the Hawk. Would love to get this dimension so I can start work on the Overland solar Z channel support bracket. Can anyone give me an accurate measurement off thier Hawk?

Thanks,

Vic

#6 VittoZ

VittoZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:51 PM

Vic,

Loved your placement of storage on the bed/cab wall face. First time I saw this location used on a Hawk. Looked like some of the Bundatec campers. 

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:14 PM

Vic,

Loved your placement of storage on the bed/cab wall face. First time I saw this location used on a Hawk. Looked like some of the Bundatec campers. 

Thanks Vic... (great name!) To be clear, I did that on my Puma / Grandby to get a full queen bed without using a pullout bed.  We end up with a 5' equivalent "cabover" are and a Hawk sized floor space.  Love it.  If I could get a FWC/ATC (non-flatbed) Grandby/Puma with a 5' cabover I'd be buying one!

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:18 PM

One other item I need is the slot center to center distance for the roof Yakima tracks. FWC factory said approximately 57-3/4” and my dealer said 58” can anyone confirm from thier Hawk unit?

I went to my dealer a few weelks ago and measured a 2020 Grandby and the tracks were 58" center to center.  I measured pretty carefully, but I wasn't trying to get super accurate measurements.  I doubt I would have been 1/4" off, but might have been as much as 1/8' off I suppose.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#9 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:39 PM

Looked through the builds, but couldn’t find a reference on the distance between Kakima track slots, slot center to center on the Hawk. Would love to get this dimension so I can start work on the Overland solar Z channel support bracket. Can anyone give me an accurate measurement off thier Hawk?

Thanks,

Vic

You can still build your z-bar frame ahead of time by making it about 6 inches longer than your Overland 160 panels (overlap rails by ~3 inches on both ends) You can always cut the z-bar frame shorter, later, if you need to. This way the exact slot-to-slot measurement is not critical. Besides that, there could be some minor variation in the factory placement of your particular Hawk's Yakima tracks, which you won't learn until you measure them when you take delivery..

Rich

untitled-1-23.jpg

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#10 Prospector1

Prospector1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:49 AM

"One other item I need is the slot center to center distance for the roof Yakima tracks. FWC factory said approximately 57-3/4” and my dealer said 58” can anyone confirm from thier Hawk unit?"

I measured 57-1/2" on a 2020 Hawk shell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users