• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

I want to replace my sleeping pads in my 4 wheel pop up. The ones that we now use are too firm. We are looking for a regular 2.5" foam pad for replacement. Any good sources out there? I have looked at regular stores and they are quite expensive. Anybody know of a good Army Surplus Store? I have been looking on the internet, but not really finding anything great. Thanks. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:31 PM

I use one of the "egg crate" pads over the stock ATC  mattress pad.

I just unzip the cover and work it in with the mattress.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

The fabric is way too tight for me to add anything to the existing pad. Right now we use a thermarest pad on top, but the extra height adds a strain when I let the top down. I need to replace the pads with something of the same height. I read on this forum that somebody posted a surplus site for foam pads. I have looked all over, no luck. I am hoping the same person posts again. Thanks. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

How thick is your pad? Most of the bed pads are 4". Look on Overstock.com

Edited by fish more, 03 January 2021 - 07:08 PM.

#5 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

The older camper pads were thinner, with the back pad about 1/2" thinner than the front. I think they were 2.5" and 2". The newer campers are 4", both pads.

Quality foam firm enough for sleeping that will last is not cheap. We sleep east-west in our 2015 Fleet and bought a 9" x 6' x 4' piece of foam, same density as the stock foam, for about $60. (We can still sit comfortably in the front dinette with the bed out.)

You might check Costco for 3" mattress toppers - they run from $60 to $120, depending on thickness and firmness.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:43 PM

I was told by two different upholsterers who sell foam and make foam mattresses for RVs and Boats that the best foam type for a mattress is "High Resilience Foam". 

It costs more but it is higher quality and lasts longer.  It is available in a number of different "firmnesses".

They both told me that typically medium or medium firm is used.  They also said that iit can be laminated with a thin say 1" or 2" softer foam on top, but that is usually done with mattresses over 4" thick.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

I want to replace my sleeping pads in my 4 wheel pop up. The ones that we now use are too firm. We are looking for a regular 2.5" foam pad for replacement. Any good sources out there? I have looked at regular stores and they are quite expensive. Anybody know of a good Army Surplus Store? I have been looking on the internet, but not really finding anything great. Thanks. 

we bought the last two camper mattresses from a "Foam Mattress" company that sells to home buyers looking for replacements for the usual spring bedroom mattresses.  Very happy.  4" is about the minimum that will work.  We have an extra firm 2" foam topped by an medium firm 2" foam on top of that.  Very comfy.  But budget the same as you would for a high quality mattress.  Good foam is NOT inexpensive.

#8 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:52 AM

we bought a 4 inch memory foam off amazon for $100 ish.. for me, its a little soft so I put a therma rest under for a little extra support.. my wife likes it how it is... way better than stock mattress..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

There are highly rated and reasonably priced (especially compared to thermarest)

https://klymit.com/p...27769_b2008d9ad

came in 2nd

https://www.thebroke...or-backpacking/

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users