12 replies to this topic

#1 costman13

costman13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:56 PM

Hey all, 

After a long hiatus away from the FWC family, I am back with a new to me 2002 Eagle for my 2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4. 

My previous Eagle (2003), had a sewn in velcro flap at the top of the canvas. The new camper does not. 

I'm getting ready to sew up my own Arctic Pack, but would love some input as to the best way to attach it on the top side of the canvas. Is this just sticky back velcro on the canvas itself? Stapled flap to the roof? I'm all ears. 

I'm planning for either velcro or snaps on the bottom edge to hold it in place. 

Old rig - 2001 Tacoma w/ 2003 Eagle (truck was stolen a few years back)

HANK.jpg

New rig - 2003 Tundra w/ 2002 Eagle - Truck build begins shortly. 

IMG_3590.jpg

Edited by costman13, 04 January 2021 - 09:57 PM.

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

Welcome back to the cult.

When I replaced the canvas on my 2000 eagle I added a separate flap like the factory did. But I don't think it would be worth the trouble to tear everything apart and add the separate flap the way the factory did.

There is a 1x1 aluminum tube along the roof on the inside edge of the canvas. I would make a 4-6" canvas strip with Velcro sewn on one edge and run it all the way around the top of the camper camper and screw it into said tube about every 6". You may be able to run the strip in front of the lift gates this way. 

I used these screws (link to Home Depot) when I replaced my headliner and they should work for this application. I did learn the hard way not to use the self tapping ones, they will shred the canvas. The aluminum is soft enough that the regular ones bite no problem.

I have used both reflectix and cloth insulation. I would recommend going with the latter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

Howdy

My local hardware/lumber yard sells an Industrial grade Velcro strip that would do the job perfectly.....I will try to find the brand name but I think I recall it is the original maker of Velcro....AND it has a sticky back for application.

Unless you really like sowing and etc you might try to find a used Artic Pac and modify it to fit your camper....we did.

Anyway, congrats on the new camper and getting back out there !

David Graves

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

Strange.  If I recall, my 2001 Eagle had it and when I had the vinyl replaced it was/is there too.  I wonder if the previous owner cut it out or if there is some other reason why it's not there?

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

That does seem odd.  My 2001 Hawk shell has the velcro flaps along the interior roof for an arctic pack.

Also- I'd be wary of a sticky-back velcro solution.  Sewn-through sticky-back velcro was used on my Hawk for its storm flaps (on the exterior side of the vinyl) and the adhesive melted and ran out from under the velcro.  I had a hard time getting the excess off and there's still some minor evidence of it there today.

The manufacturer's specs for sticky-back velcro generally recommend a max temperature of 120*F.  I used it in my old van for screens and had problems with it peeling off.   Because of that I recently used 3M's high-temp-adhesive velcro (SJ60) rated at 185* F.  It's not as tacky as other velcro adhesive and requires a firm pressure from a roller to 'activate' the adhesive during application.  It has worked very well where I attached it to a hard background but not well where it can be flexed.

Edited by Old Crow, 06 January 2021 - 02:53 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:51 PM

My 2000 Eagle did not come with the velcro

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:29 AM

Check with "ski3pin" one of the moderators. He sewed up his own arctic pack so I'm sure he has an answer for your question. You can PM him.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:09 PM

Check with "ski3pin" one of the moderators. He sewed up his own arctic pack so I'm sure he has an answer for your question. You can PM him.

Prior to us making our own arctic-cold weather pack -

Arctic-Cold Weather Pack

- we had the good folks at All Terrain Campers install a new sideliner in our old Ranger II camper that had the upper velcro strip for attachment. If we did not have this attachment point we would have done what kolockum suggests above.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:53 AM

Early 2000 years it was a pay option to have the Cold weather pack prep if you wanted the top hanging velcro installed at the factory. If you bought the whole package then you were set. Then later you could add the artic pac material or make your own.

If the prep was not paid for then you have a camper like yours with nothing.

Later FWC made this option standard for all campers.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 costman13

costman13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies! 

I'm going back and forth with screwing a strip into the framing at the edge of the roof, or velcro along the top of the canvas. 

My canvas also has the sticky back velcro issues from the factory - adhesive softened and leaked all over the place... Any suggestions on cleaning that up? It's really just a cosmetic blemish more than an issue. I'm thinking MEK or the like (carefully of course). 

The canvas is in 7 or 8/10 condition, so I don't think it's worth pulling it all apart just yet. I'll wait until I do a canvas swap / higher lift panels... Being 6'3", the older eagles are a touch short in height for me... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Insulation, Arctic, Vinyl, Canvas, Pack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users