Photo
- - - - -

AT Overland fuel can holder - fuel can help.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

Hello FWC fam. Just purchased an AT Overland fuel can holder for my thirsty new Power Wagon and thought I had the correct can to fit but found out Scepter makes two different cans. Turns out the one I need, and is in the photo as an example on the webpage, isn't even for sale in the US? What have others used to fit in these brackets?

https://atoverland.c...-holder-scepter

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:00 AM

You can find those cans in the U.S. Might have to search a bit and pay a premium. Bunch of them on Ebay. Prices vary a lot.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:44 AM

That looks just like the plastic ones I have. They are military surplus. The forest service used them before being forced to throw them away because the are not CARB compliant. Which I think is why they have disappeared. Good quality nozzles are really hard to find

But it should be a standardize size. I just looked and they are only slightly taller than the metal German NATO can that I have but the same width. Something like this may work (it is slightly smaller)  - https://www.grainger...-Gas-Can-491K35

I personally wouldn't try to buy an older plastic screw top can. The lids can get stuck and the spigots are hard to find.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:40 AM

I have 3 of these, they fit in my AT gas can holder:

https://overlander.c...zBoCaQ4QAvD_BwE

There may be a difference in my AT holder.  The aluminum strap that goes over the lid looks different.  AT may make different ones for different cans.  

#5 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

I thought you could buy different "straps" the holder from AT for different cans? That seems less expensive than new can(s)?

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

I thought you could buy different "straps" the holder from AT for different cans? That seems less expensive than new can(s)?

Thinking the same...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:07 PM

I'd also recommend not buying the plastic style NATO Scepter cans. I ran those for years after reading good things on them. Even with new gaskets, they leaked. Refueling was a pain and always got gas dribbling down the side of them and onto the ground, onto my truck, etc. 

A blessing in disguise happened when some a-hole stole 2 of 3 of my cans off my Land Cruiser. They were locked, inside my garage. 

I went and purchased 2 of the metal Wavian 20L cans and they are 100x better and easier to use. I'd do what you can to use them with your AT can holder! 

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

#8 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

I'd also recommend not buying the plastic style NATO Scepter cans. I ran those for years after reading good things on them. Even with new gaskets, they leaked. Refueling was a pain and always got gas dribbling down the side of them and onto the ground, onto my truck, etc. 

A blessing in disguise happened when some a-hole stole 2 of 3 of my cans off my Land Cruiser. They were locked, inside my garage. 

I went and purchased 2 of the metal Wavian 20L cans and they are 100x better and easier to use. I'd do what you can to use them with your AT can holder! 

I have 2 of the Scepter 5 gal water cans.  I have the same problem with them not sealing well.  They mount on their sides on my Ruger Trailer and I always lose the top couple of inches of water from them.  

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

You can buy the strap for the regular jerry can from AT. They charge a ridiculous $35.00 plus $30.00 for shipping. I ordered one and they shipped the wrong one. They replaced it but shipped it regular USPS vs the FedEX they charged me on the initial order. Funny how when it's on their dime they used the cheapest shipping method possible.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:28 PM

I have been looking at these trying to figure out what to do for extra fuel too. Just wondering if it might be easier and maybe cheaper to return it and get the Wavian one? Have you mounted it?

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users