Photo
- - - - -

AT Overland fuel can holder - fuel can help.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:47 PM

Wavian cans are great. Own 2 20l, 2 10l, and one 5l. Works great on 2 stroke mix for chainsaws as metal cans extend the freshness of fuel way longer than plastic.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:16 AM

So a couple more questions on this. Is the actual holder the same size between the Nato holder and Wavian? Is it just the strap that is different? Assuming since I can't find a Wavian fuel can I can just order a new strap and get a Nato can.

Secondly, did they redesign the mounting bracket? I thought it also screwed into the camper at the jack plates? This one is simply a peice of angled aluminum? And it's too large and sticks out past the jack plate? Did I order the wrong one? Plus the lower support mount is about 1/3 the width of the others I have seen. Basically just a 1 1/2 strap of aluminum.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20210109_160046344_HDR_compress85.jpg

#13 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:03 PM

Hmmm. Not sure, I’ve only seen one in person and I think  he just fabricated his own out of angle and stock as they are pretty pricy. But in looking for myself I noticed they do ask to notify them of the camper year since apparently the jack brackets got raised awhile back. Did you drill those or did they come predrilled? Would flipping it over do anything? 
This is all for my good too. 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#14 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:59 PM

@Adventurebound, I am in the same boat as you.  What did you end up doing? I ordered the "scepter" style but from what I am reading regarding Wavian, although costly, seems to be the much better option.

According to the AT overland website, the dimensions of the holder are actually the same between "NATO-style" and "scepter-style" but that the strap is shaped differently to fit the can.  

I'm hoping AT overland will take an exchange of the strap so I can go with a Wavian-style.  Alternatively, could find a high quality scepter style.

So a couple more questions on this. Is the actual holder the same size between the Nato holder and Wavian? Is it just the strap that is different? Assuming since I can't find a Wavian fuel can I can just order a new strap and get a Nato can.

Secondly, did they redesign the mounting bracket? I thought it also screwed into the camper at the jack plates? This one is simply a peice of angled aluminum? And it's too large and sticks out past the jack plate? Did I order the wrong one? Plus the lower support mount is about 1/3 the width of the others I have seen. Basically just a 1 1/2 strap of aluminum.

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#15 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:03 PM

I would go with the Wavian steel can. The Scepter bulges like a ballon.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210910_170101_compress23.jpg

Edited by Adventurebound, 28 September 2021 - 02:04 PM.

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:29 AM

If you opt for the steel NATO style fuel cans you absolutely, positively want this nozzle for them:

https://swissarmyveh...-can-swiss-army

They're expensive and you need to fabricate an unleaded filler adapter (I made mine from copper tube & a fitting), but it can drain the can nearly as fast as you can tilt it. Without spilling or leaking. It is also long enough that you can engage it in the fill neck before ever tilting the can.

I somehow doubt that this is the same spout, but it is a package deal of 2 cans and a spout:

https://swissarmyveh...l-x2-with-spout

Note that there are some cheep, chinesium clone cans out there. Last that I saw, their bungs are not shaped correctly and the correct gaskets and nozzles, like above, do not fit them.

Edited by ntsqd, 29 September 2021 - 01:29 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 06 October 2021 - 04:18 AM

The steel, authentic, 20l Wavian NATO cans are the way to go. Don't waste your $ on the chinese knock-offs, that really aren't much cheaper than the authentic ones.

#18 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 10 October 2021 - 12:21 AM

I second the Wavian NATO cans. They are the best by far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users