torklift steps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

We are looking at getting a set of Torklift steps for our camper. Since we got the camper we have been using the plastic 2 step that ATC gave us when we picked the camper up. We have switched trucks now and the camper will be sitting higher off the ground so the 2 step isn't going to work. The bottom of the camper door will be about 34" off the ground . Could someone tell me how they attach theirs under the door so they can be removed easily. Also , if someone could post pics I would appreciate it. OR, maybe there is another, cheaper, option?? Thanks, Glen.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

Brophy Steps?

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

We bought the Brophy steps from etrailer and they have served us well although they are not perfect.
First issue is that you lose your trailer hitch. Second is that they wobble around in the receiver hitch & seem unstable until you get used to them or use a hitch tightener.
Third  is that the bottom step hangs down too low. We mangled our bottom step dropping over a curb in Moab which eliminated our using that step until we could heat it enough to bend it back after we got back home.

Fourth is that the bottom step doesn’t always hang down enough to make it easy for that first step up in some situations.

Fifth is that the steps can eat shins in low light.

Don’t let this discourage you. There are solutions to the problems. Bosque Bill has an excellent solution to the bottom step too low. 

We carry a short plastic stool anyway that makes stepping up to the lower step easy.  In the dark, it is great knowing that when backing out of the camper that the next step will be exactly where expected and will not slip out from under your foot. A strip of glow in the dark tape along the edge of each step makes shin contact unlikely. (Or was it muscle memory programmed by mangled shins).

There are other hitch mounted steps that address these issues but may have their own problems like price, license plate obfuscation, rattling, etc.

We’ve learned to live with the short comings. Most things are a compromise in life anyway. I would likely buy another set if I lost or destroyed them.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

I have used the torklift steps since the camper was built. 

If you zoom in, you should see that there is a bar that the steps are connected to.

i use quick snap links to hold the steps to the bar.

When traveling, i take them off and sit them inside the door.

Attached Thumbnails

• step .jpg
  • camper and truck.jpg

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:34 PM

I had a set of Brophy steps and sold them and just use this:

deployed2

I turn in around for travel so it can't drag though ditches/dips.  

flipped for travel2

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:45 PM

Take a look at these.  They solve most of the issues that PaulT mentioned regarding the Brophy steps.  We have had the two step model on our F150/Hawk for four years and absolutely love them.  A bit pricy but in my opinion, well worth it.

https://www.easyhitchstep.com/

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:50 PM

I welded a second 2" receiver under my Ford factory hitch with a 1" spacer and use a step from Geny Hitch, their serrated hitch step. Can tow my boat with step in place, also all steps from the camper to bumper to step are the same distance apart

Edited by fish more, 10 January 2021 - 04:00 PM.

#8 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really leaning toward the steps.  Wango, PM sent.

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

Another option, if you have space to store it, is the little giant step stool.   You can use this either as is, as a step stool, or remove the back legs and make it removable steps like the other options.   I tried several options on my flatbed before arriving at this, and it definitely seemed like the most secure to use with the largest and most comfortable steps.  The scissor type steps really didn't feel very stable to me, particularly on uneven ground.  It is relatively light and inexpensive, but takes up a lot of space (not an issue with a flatbed drawer).

Entry Ladder
Ladder in drawer

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:53 PM

20191207_111704 (2).jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic