• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbollish

sbollish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:30 PM

I am in the process of installing solar and battery charger upgrades including lithium battery in my new 2020 hawk shell.  I purchased the propane heater option with no propane stove.  I would like to install shore power as well and while pondering the prospect of drilling a large hole in the side of the camper, I noticed the nice 2 1/4th inch diameter holes conveniently already drilled into the top and bottom of the battery box, extending outside to the battery vent covers.  I understand that these vents are required, in case someone were to install flooded lead acid batteries that outgas flammable (potentially explosive) hydrogen gas.  From what I understand, outgassing is not an issue with AGM or Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.

My question is this...

Since I never plan to use batteries the outgas, would it be safe and not unreasonable to use one of these battery vent holes for a shore power connection? My plan would be to install a 110 volt power distribution box with circuit breaker(s) inside the battery box.

I greatly appreciate any advice you can provide. 

#2 MaverickMTB

MaverickMTB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

That’s sound logic in my book. I would do the same.

#3 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

I used one of those holes to do exactly that, the RV plug fit perfectly. I have 2 AGM batteries so no out gassing, I also covered the other hole with tape from the inside.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#4 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

Second that on also using that hole. Although I did relocate my battery out of that box. For the plug itself, use this. It fits in the hole perfectly and provides a weather tight exterior recepticale.

https://no.co/gcp1

#5 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

I did exactly this for my shore power hook up and it was blessed by local RMFWC in Colorado. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk shell, shore power, battery vent hole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users