Photo
- - - - -

Anything interesting to see or good camp spots PHX- TAOS, NM?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

Hey Everyone, Happy New year!  Im thinking of going next week for San Diego to Taos to pick up some skiing.  Google maps is routing me through PHX, Holbrook, Gallup, Albuquerque.  It looks like I will be ready to camp for the night somewhere south of Holbrook.  

Alternatively it looks like I could take a more southern route out to almost Las Cruces and then turn north.  

Any good spots or something not too far off the path to experience?  Worse comes to worse I can just find a secluded spot and make a very short sleep over spot.  

Steve

Edited by steve whiteside, 10 January 2021 - 06:41 PM.

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#2 Cottonww

Cottonww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:08 PM

If southern route, overnight on east side of Chiracahuas near Portal, AZ. Best roads take 2nd exit in NM and follow Hwy 80 and signs to Portal then southwest a few miles to National Forest Service campsites.

Don't go as far as Las Cruces but take Hwy 26 from Demming to Hatch, NM.

#3 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:32 PM

Cotton, That is a good tip, thanks!  You think the southern route is more interesting?  

Steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#4 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:52 AM

if you are taking the 260 up towards Holbrook, there are some great campsites off  Rim Road...East of Payson.  Rim Road is just like it sounds...it has great sites right on top of the rim with epic views and sunsets.  its just off the highway, so you don't have to get too far off the beaten path.

it would be a little further, but the Petrified National Forest and the Painted Desert are pretty cool and there's some easy dispersed camping in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users