#11 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:05 PM

Vic-   Most of Arizona is BLM or National Forest, so there are lots of dispersed camping options.  The military has significant holdings, Barry Goldwater Bombing Range and the Yuma Proving grounds are huge and not open to the public.  There are also several large Reservations, and they have their own restrictions.  Most of the area along the southern border open, interesting, and safe, though wall construction can be pretty ugly in places.

You should be aware that there are Border Patrol checkpoints scattered all across Arizona, New Mexico, and California.  Many are far from the border and the dogs they use are very good at sniffing out controlled substances.  They typically only stop traffic coming from the south, but depending on your route you could end up getting stopped.

Edited by dr.tucson, 14 January 2021 - 02:57 PM.

#12 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:05 AM

81BC201E-A113-455C-BEAD-D6EF7E6C4834.jpeg

[quote]Looking at the roads and Google Earth, it seems there are some main roads (highways 1 & 5).  Do people stick to the main roads or travel side roads?  Is it possible to drive down on side roads on the east side and up on the west?  I see lots of people kayaking in the Gulf, what about canoeing?[quote]

We just spent two weeks in Baja for Christmas and New Years kayaking, fishing and surfing...plenty of options to spend time off road. We use the highways (both 1 and 5) as fast access to our jumping off points, which vary depending on your interests. You definitely cannot drive the length of Baja, on either side, completely off road, but there are several good stretches that exceed 50-200+ miles. Don’t see many canoes in Baja but you certainly could use one if it’s calm, be mindful that the winds can come up quickly and ferociously. I don’t think I’d personally venture too far offshore in one, an ocean kayak would be a wise investment if you planning on spending as much time as it appears down there.

Attached Thumbnails

• D1F1B956-6090-448E-A135-B2D41ADA9FFA.jpeg

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#13 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

Thanks folks! To fill in some more detail, we've done lots in Utah, so that's why I'm asking about south of Utah.  Also done Mesa Verde, but I could be talked into doing that again.  We stopped in Bandelier, NM when we drove down from Calgary to get our Puma.

Russ, thanks for the links to GCNP stuff.  We've done the North Rim, but that's all.  Lots more to see here!

Wango, Toroweap looks interesting!  What's the difference in Baja north/south of Mulege?

Sleddog, we've camped off Lockhart Road!  Great sunsets!  Plus the Moki Dugway and VotG are great.  And yes, the hiking in Canyonlands is some of our favourite!  Knowing you like these too, you have me hooked on the other places you suggested.  Much appreciated.  Calgary to Moab is pretty much a straight shot down through Helena, Idaho Falls, bypassing SLC on the east using 84 from Ogden to Provo, then 6 to Green River, and south on 191 to Monticello.  This will be the fastest we've ever gotten down that far, as we usually meander more.  This will be a LONG trek though, and I'd rather save my slow time for when we get there.

Ted, I looked at the ferry idea.  It's expensive, I don't know how much travelling I want to do on mainland Mexico.  Plus I read that the ferry from Topolobampo is no longer running, and you have to go all the way south to Mazatlan to catch that ferry.  That would mean only traveling down/up Baja once, vs exploring both up and down.

Looking at the roads and Google Earth, it seems there are some main roads (highways 1 & 5).  Do people stick to the main roads or travel side roads?  Is it possible to drive down on side roads on the east side and up on the west?  I see lots of people kayaking in the Gulf, what about canoeing?

Vic... rather than Mesa Verde, go just south.  There's a native american geo site that does tours that is very nice.   It's on the backside (south) of mesa verde and has some amazing cliff dwellings and it's more private, etc.  You have to have a guide but when we went it was just 4 of us and 2 left early.  I can't remember the name right now but will try to recall if you are interested.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#14 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:37 PM

I’ll second the recommendation from SunMan re: not venturing too far offshore with a canoe. Chubascos can scream across the gulf from east to west, carrying lots of sand/debris and churning up large waves. Full disclosure: we were once caught, in a canoe, during a 10-minute microburst in the middle of Lake Louise. Large waves, 34* water, 45 years later I still shudder with the thought of being swamped. Since that’s your backyard a little ‘ol chubasco may be child’s play for you! 😂

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:06 AM

Vic... rather than Mesa Verde, go just south.  There's a native american geo site that does tours that is very nice.   It's on the backside (south) of mesa verde and has some amazing cliff dwellings and it's more private, etc.  You have to have a guide but when we went it was just 4 of us and 2 left early.  I can't remember the name right now but will try to recall if you are interested.

yes, interested!

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:08 AM

I’ll second the recommendation from SunMan re: not venturing too far offshore with a canoe. Chubascos can scream across the gulf from east to west, carrying lots of sand/debris and churning up large waves. Full disclosure: we were once caught, in a canoe, during a 10-minute microburst in the middle of Lake Louise. Large waves, 34* water, 45 years later I still shudder with the thought of being swamped. Since that’s your backyard a little ‘ol chubasco may be child’s play for you!

hmm.  My canoe accepts a cover for adverse conditions.  May have to get one of those.  Yes, "chinooks" can bring interesting squalls along the front ranges in the Rockies.  I'm glad you didn't get swamped.  The cold water would have killed you!  

#17 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

We are currently on our 4th trip to Baja. Lots of great info above which I will not repeat. We made the mistake of going thru Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. Those Touristy areas are not why we drove from Edmonton to Baja. 

Re Baja: a month is nice. I would not make solid plans. You are going to meet so many great people, learn new things, and get recommendations for places to go see and camp. My experience has been that Baja sets the pace you don’t. You going to love it. 

Also don’t miss the whales.

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:48 AM

We are currently on our 4th trip to Baja. Lots of great info above which I will not repeat. We made the mistake of going thru Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. Those Touristy areas are not why we drove from Edmonton to Baja. 

Re Baja: a month is nice. I would not make solid plans. You are going to meet so many great people, learn new things, and get recommendations for places to go see and camp. My experience has been that Baja sets the pace you don’t. You going to love it. 

Also don’t miss the whales.

Would love to chat, share beer and pictures sometime when you get back and Covid is less of an issue!

#19 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hey Vic

We canoe too !

One thing you might consider in Baja Sur is to rent or borrow some locals little skiff in order to get on the water...

or just pay for a Panga ride in some area that interests you.

You are not allowed to paddle your own boat in any of the whales sanctuaries, and most beach front camping areas have someone, either local or expatriot, who has some sort of floating something.

Especially given the high number of your countrymen who winter in Baja , there is a good chance you can arrange something in advance.

Baja Nomads is a great starting point if you ignore the blowhards and do some networking with some of the regulars on that forum.

David Graves 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users