Photo
- - - - -

Single LiFePo4 Battery or Two LiFePo4 Batteries in Hawk?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:02 AM

What more chocolate and new skis?  Neither would be good for me, but that will not stop me...but I plan to add a TV, microwave, sound system and a computer with a 5K inverter...ya, right like that could happen! B)

Thanks for the advice....size of my battery box and funds may be the limiter...actual now with my Honda 2200i , I have a hold card....  :D

Phil

#22 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

I’ve seen a picture of folks moving their batteries from the rear compartment on the front dinette Hawk to under the drivers side dinette seat. That gives you room for the Victron 100/30 solar controller, the Victron  DC/DC Charger and the Victron shunt. With a 100ah LiFePo4 you still have some room for storage plus the original battery compartment. Thus everything is centralized and easy to get at. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#23 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:08 AM

Yes, OEM....My '16 FWC Hawk had the 160w Zamp panel and Zamp ZS30 Controller installed...does not support Li....I have added a Zamp 170w panel and will soon go to a Victron 100/30 Controller...I did change out the Eaton Separator and installed a Blue Sea 7611 and added a Victron BMV 712 to monitor SOC.....likewise, I will also go to Li batteries soon as my AGMs are now 5 years old... 

Phil

Phil,

bummer--that's what I have in our '16 Fleet--the Zamp ZS30...not comfortable with doing this electrical upgrade myself...but would be willing to pay someone to do the upgrade--maybe the local 4W dealer here in Pdx...what do you estimate the parts cost of a new Controller and other goodies for it to be Li ready?  thanks...

Brad

Edited by scappoosebrad, 12 January 2021 - 08:11 AM.

#24 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:55 PM

Hi Phil
I’m in the think you’ll be ok with one 100ah lithium battery. How about build for two and only install one. Using your camper in the real world experience will give you your answer.
Are you also charging from your truck if so there is your safety net, till you install the second battery if needed.

Good Luck with the project.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#25 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:43 PM

Phil,

bummer--that's what I have in our '16 Fleet--the Zamp ZS30...not comfortable with doing this electrical upgrade myself...but would be willing to pay someone to do the upgrade--maybe the local 4W dealer here in Pdx...what do you estimate the parts cost of a new Controller and other goodies for it to be Li ready?  thanks...

Brad

Brad,

Why not give Amsolar.com a call to get an estimate?  They are located in Springfield and carry everything you need. I’ve bought most of my solar upgrade components from them. In addition to selling the parts, they also do the work. Might be good to get a start before they get too busy for the spring season.

I’m just up the hill from you in Helvetia.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#26 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

A couple of comments:

1. What are the available charge profiles on your ZAMP controller?  LiFePO4 is really not that picky, so one of the existing profiles may work well enough.   There are also other reasons to upgrade, but it may not be a requirement.

2. Look beyond Battleborn for a replacement battery.   The price of LiFePO4 cells has dropped dramatically in the last year or two (just like solar cells).   Battleborn was always a bit on the pricey side, but given the market shift they have become significantly overpriced.  There are already a bunch of competitors out there at about 60% the price of BB, some with more features, and I think in the next few months there will be a further drop in prices.    There are also some 120 - 150Ah batteries that would likely fit in your battery compartment, meaning you would definitely only need one battery.

Edited by rando, 12 January 2021 - 05:46 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:14 PM

A couple of comments:

1. What are the available charge profiles on your ZAMP controller?  LiFePO4 is really not that picky, so one of the existing profiles may work well enough.   There are also other reasons to upgrade, but it may not be a requirement.

2. Look beyond Battleborn for a replacement battery.   The price of LiFePO4 cells has dropped dramatically in the last year or two (just like solar cells).   Battleborn was always a bit on the pricey side, but given the market shift they have become significantly overpriced.  There are already a bunch of competitors out there at about 60% the price of BB, some with more features, and I think in the next few months there will be a further drop in prices.    There are also some 120 - 150Ah batteries that would likely fit in your battery compartment, meaning you would definitely only need one battery.

Rando....

Zamp when asked said my non-Li controller would work by using the AGM profile....but is it a case of "close but no cigar"?

What competitors to BB are of equal or superior quality? I do not have the expertise to adjudge that; I am impressed with what I have read and watched about the quality of BB.  Yes, I wish BB had a 150AH Li, but they don't.

Thanks for your information.

Phil

#28 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

Rando....

Zamp when asked said my non-Li controller would work by using the AGM profile....but is it a case of "close but no cigar"?

What competitors to BB are of equal or superior quality? I do not have the expertise to adjudge that; I am impressed with what I have read and watched about the quality of BB.  Yes, I wish BB had a 150AH Li, but they don't.

Thanks for your information.

Phil

Do you have the manual for your ZAMP?  If so, what are the absorption and float voltages for the AGM mode (and for any other mode it may have)?   That will tell us how well it would work with an LiFePO4 battery. 

I don't have any experience with Battleborn, or any other drop in lithium batteries, so I can't give a first hand recommendation here. 

However, I will note that Battleborn is using Chinese cells and apparently a Chinese BMS. What they do is package the cells and BMS in a nice box.  There is no real reason to expect that other companies using the same approach (but doing the packaging in China) would have much worse quality.    They also do a lot of slick (albeit a bit dodgy) marketing and have US based customer service, which is why they seem to be able to command a higher price.   It is up to you what this is worth, but certainly look around before pulling the trigger.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#29 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:59 PM

Rando,

Thanks for you views; always appreciated....not sure what BB does that is dodgy, but I am open to knowing.

Here is what I thought was a great review of the quality of BB construction...yes, I will shop for the best, but the metric for determining which is a superior LiFePo4 battery escapes me....this video helps, but of course few batteries get this kind of a review process and personal experiences of course vary but can form a basis for choosing one brand over the other.

Phil

Ps...Just saw this  

Edited by Wallowa, 12 January 2021 - 07:02 PM.

#30 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:14 PM

Brad,

Why not give Amsolar.com a call to get an estimate?  They are located in Springfield and carry everything you need. I’ve bought most of my solar upgrade components from them. In addition to selling the parts, they also do the work. Might be good to get a start before they get too busy for the spring season.

I’m just up the hill from you in Helvetia.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the local vendor reference--assume that is Springfield OR...still would like clear confirmation that the Zamp controller will not "do the job" of a Li battery vs. AGM...may have to do some of my own research...but will keep watching what other members offer on this post...

Brad

p.s. yeah, the H Tavern was one of our spots before Covid...assume you are a stone's throw from the Tav.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users