12 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

+1 on Breedlove. I had one of his Delrin insulators on another vehicle. He seemed to disappear for a while but is obviously back with new and updated products. Great design and quality materials & workmanship.

Thanks for reminding me. 
Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

I have a thru-roof nmo mount ground plane/quarter wave antenna on my truck that works GREAT with no camper on the back.   The performance is horrible with the camper installed - it comes to within about 8" of the antenna and I'm sure completely changes its tuning.  Just FWIW for anyone else looking into this.

I'm ordering a second 1/2 wave (no ground plane needed) antenna and a mag mount nmo that I can use temporarily whenever the camper is on the truck.  I'll either move it further from the camper or screw a little plate to the camper that I can clip it to and make sure it's above camper height.

#13 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:09 PM

I make my own end fed half-wave antennae, but the Laird Technologies B1442NS looks like a winner. A 1/4 wave mounted like op wants would be a bit directional because the image would be angled backwards. Not really enough to worry about I’m sure. The main thing is keep your runs short with high quality coax, as ntqsd says. Also, be a stickler about tuning and matching, and checking it often, as a8ksh4 notes. I use a rig expert analyzer in the field but I’m lusting after the NanoVna.

Source: I teach antenna design and theory at both grad and undergrad level, but it is not my specialty, not an expert per se. I know enough to warp students heads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users