• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dadmire

dadmire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:47 AM

First time poster.......with a newbie question.

I just dropped a deposit for a Cirrus 620 truck camper.  Now I'm looking for a truck to safely haul the camper and my wife's horse trailer with 2 mini horses.

The camper lists a dry weight of 1500......and the trailer is 3000, + 2 mini horses at 225 each + water and hay.

I figure loaded weights of 2200 for the camper and 4000 for the trailer (double axle aluminum trailer).

The Ford and Chevy dealer both say that the 250/2500 will work safely.  The camper dealer will install air bags on the rear of the truck.

What does the forum say???  is the F250 or Chevy 2500 enough truck?

Thanks in advance.

#2 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:15 AM

Check the payload capacity on the drivers side front door jam on the actual truck your going to buy and make sure you haven’t exceeded that capacity. Towing 4000 lbs isn’t a problem for any truck I know off! Good luck buying a new truck it’s always fun. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

Go big or go home. One ton all the way.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:22 PM

I believe you’re going to be happier with a 1 ton, with a camper package option.  It’s not a great deal more expensive, and resale is typically better.  A good rear sway bar will help with camper sway.

I am haunted by waters

#5 dadmire

dadmire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:36 PM

I believe you’re going to be happier with a 1 ton, with a camper package option.  It’s not a great deal more expensive, and resale is typically better.  A good rear sway bar will help with camper sway.

Resale is a good point.  I've got a 2021 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide that lists the Maximum Cargo Weight Rating of each version of the F250 and 350.  The difference in that specific measure is about 1500 pounds comparing like equipped trucks.  And the price difference is "only" about $1500 MSRP.

Thanks for the replies!

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

When I bought my F350, the delta was only $900.  Having driven a F250 w/camper for 16 years, no regrets about going with a one ton when I replaced it.

I am haunted by waters

#7 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:57 PM

Some manufacturers state they may void your warranty if you don't have their camper package and then carry a camper, assuming it's a company that offers such a package on the model you're considering. With Ford, depending on model, GVWR, and other options, a camper package may add stiffer front and/or rear springs, rear anti-roll bar (AKA anti-sway bar) etc.

Re 3/4 vs 1-ton, check your state DMV for GVWR and GCWR thresholds, as with some states you'll pay more for registration if you're over some certain amount and in other states you'll pay less. In some cases, different classes of driver's licensing also come into play. There's a fair justification charging higher fees as more weight causes more wear on roads and that's generally how it works, but sometimes industry lobbying reverses that for certain GVWR and people pay LESS going over some cutoff. All these issues are why with, for example, Ford you'll find 3/4-ton at 9900 or 10000 with exact same springs, and 1-ton de-rated to 10000 or at, say, the more typical 11400 or 11500. Wheel and tire selection also effects rating. A note on wheels and tires, with some smaller combos you'll have room for at least S-type tire chains or cables; with some larger ones they'll state you won't.

There's a lot of fine print in brochures and on DMV forms to review and in both cases staff may or may not be of help.

Re air bags, you may or may not need them and do note that at much more than the minimum inflation required to prevent collapse and damage, their more rapid increase in stiffness upon compression than a non-staged (without overloads) steel spring and could make for a bouncy ride. I'm not certain, but believe the factory system offered on Ram trucks begins compression when somewhat extended, whereas some aftermarket systems really only begin to provide support at about normal ride height. Such sudden transitions in spring rate would likely make for more bounce, so research and ask questions about system considered. I don't know about Firestone Ride-Rite on that issue, but a lot of people seem to like them. The factory Ram option supposedly helps a lot but it does look complicated. TorkLift upper StableLoads are another popular choice, but I personally have't used them yet.

Edited by michelle_east_county, 13 January 2021 - 05:05 PM.

#8 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:16 PM

As others have said, you'll need to check the payload capacity sticker for individual trucks as the included trim and options package impact the payload capacity, however most 2500/250 HD trucks will easily work for you.  The Cirrus 620 is designed for a fullsize truck rather than an HD so it is really quite light as far as slide-in pickup campers are concerned. Estimated wet weight for those campers is about 2,300lb so your estimate is close. So very specific fullsize trucks meet that (there are some fullsize that are rate up to 3,000lb), but it will exceed payload capacity on the average fullsize truck which typically range from 1,700 - 2,300. Going HD will give you more room particularly since you'll be towing a trailer that, by your estimate, will be 4,000lb and so another 400lb of tongue weight (and payload). Full gas tank is included in payload capacity, but passengers, cargo, accessories, etc. are not.

The Cirrus 620 is one of the lightest hard side. There are a lot of pop-up pickup campers that are much lighter if that is an option for you. Four Wheel Campers are popular,  but I'd recommend checking out Overland Explorer's offerings. Particularly the CAMP-X.  We switched from a FWC to a CAMP-X to be done with the condensation issues of the FWC and couldn't be happier.  We do really like the Cirrus 620, though, as we tow with the idea of a hardsided camper. If interested in seeing a post I did about our CAMP-X, you can check out Expedition Portal. Or just use your favorite search engine and search for "2020 Overland Explorer CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper".  Our next truck will be an HD so looking at both the Cirrus 620 or sticking with Overland Explorer but going to their flatbed camper called the CAMP-HBE.  Decisions decisions....Ha. 

Edited by Chadx, 17 March 2021 - 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users