13 replies to this topic

#11 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

There's been a growing crowd over the last 40 years, accelerating in the last few, where the higher the price and perceived exclusivity the greater the desire. Sub-IKEA-quality outdoor furniture for thousands of dollars each piece. Unreliable supercars in the low millions where an oil change is such an ordeal it costs thousands (multiple inaccessible sumps?) and that are not driven, but instead shown to visitors in the climate-controlled garage. So, as with the rest of the RV and boating market, this is just one more venture trying to cash in on the crowd where a $50K deposit to a company that may or may not be able to deliver means little more to the buyers than the price for a set of Michelins at Costco vs the same set at Sam's Club for the rest of us. Of course, trends like this never go on forever.

#12 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

Besides the obvious absurdity of this, it also apparently semi-vaporware.   Who in their right mind would put down a non-refundable $50K deposit on vehicle that they have not even built the prototype of?   There seems to be an increasing trend of startups who make a slick rendering of some fantastic looking device, or maybe a half finished prototype with some fancy drone footage in a pretty place, then start taking deposits for delivery in 12 months, no wait 18 months, we will definitely have it to you in 24 months.   

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#13 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:30 PM

Besides the obvious absurdity of this, it also apparently semi-vaporware.   Who in their right mind would put down a non-refundable $50K deposit on vehicle that they have not even built the prototype of?   There seems to be an increasing trend of startups who make a slick rendering of some fantastic looking device, or maybe a half finished prototype with some fancy drone footage in a pretty place, then start taking deposits for delivery in 12 months, no wait 18 months, we will definitely have it to you in 24 months.   

I thought my posting of this article would elicit a few responses!

i couldn’t agree with you more Rando...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

I just looked at the head on photo on the company's website that Mr. Sage linked to. Anybody else notice the Tacoma had stock mirrors that cannot see past the camper? I'd pay extra for good towing mirrors so I could see behind me. I guess I'm just a practical old fart.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users