Photo
- - - - -

Low maintenance Suspension mods - timbren / helper spring / other?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CamperSam

CamperSam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:03 AM

I have a 2019 2WD F150 V8 supercab which has 2320lb payload capacity.
I have a FWC Hawk installed.

I have e rates tires and have installed Timbrens and recently bilstein 5100.

The ride remains a little harsh and bouncy. I’m wondering if that’s as good as it gets or since the camper is a permanent install in the truck, I should explore something else?

- helper springs (hellwig?)
- torqlift stable loads
- sumo springs
- something else?

I don’t wish to spend a ton of money and I’m also out off airbags due to the need to adjust pressure and less reliable / more maintenance than rubber or metal springs.

What do folks recommend for a more comfortable ride? We drive mostly highway with the occasional potholed gravel road.

Edited by CamperSam, 14 January 2021 - 06:18 AM.

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:15 PM

I had Alcan Spring Co in Grand Junction CO, build a custom spring pack for my F 150 Fx4 with a Hawk permanently mounted. I requested 1100 lbs additional capacity with OEM height. The ride is perfect on highways, two lanes and off-road. No harsh ride, no bouncy. Of course if I even took the camper off, I suspect I'd bounce all over the road, but I don't plan to take it off. I did the same on my previous Ford Ranger FWC Eagle combo.

They will make a custom spring pack to fit your specs. Took about 5 weeks and then I made a trip there, picked them up at there factory and had them installed at Top Notch Garage about a mile down the road. Alcan will also ship them to you.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:01 PM

What tire pressures are you running and what does the placard on your door jamb say?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

The very best way to obtain a decent combination of ride and handling with a permanently mounted camper is with a set of custom springs tuned to the weight, as Larry did. Invest once and forget it. Timbrens and Sumo Springs are really just glorified bump stops and won't help your ride. You might be able to get away with an added leaf, but if they're poorly designed they can add stress risers to the existing pack.

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:47 PM

Ditto what Larry and Jhanson posted

#6 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:27 PM

Here's what I posted in another thread some years ago, and I'm still happy with the Roadmaster coil springs.  They are adjustable.  Assume they are still available, and were reasonably priced.  Also recently upgraded my rear shocks and ride is very good on paved road and off.   In the meantime have upgraded to E tires (from P) and that makes a big difference too.

Unlike air bags or extra leafs, they won't break or fail and operate only when loaded, and no maintenance required. I recently did a 2-week trip in my 09 Silverado 1500 with a camper at payload capacity, and it handled very well on all types of roads from highway to 4x, in wind and curves, and steering is fine. When truck is unloaded the extra springs are inactive.

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:22 PM

I got talked into having Sumo Springs installed on the rear axle of our Land Cruiser Troop Carrier in Australia (I was in the U.S. arranging new suspension via email). Not only did they steal compliance, after driving across Australia and Africa I discovered that one of them had ripped off its base. Never again will I rely on such a band-aid "solution."

50912187072_919aa3205c.jpg

#8 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:05 PM

We have Helwig's and 4800s (same guts as 5100, just not height adjustable). It's pretty similar to the Suburban we had of the same era set up like that. I feel the weight, but it isn't that different.  It's a fairly cheap thing to try. Unlike the bumper options, it adds a real leaf. 

I second the tire pressure question. A rapid deflator and compressor make a BIG difference off road. We use a Viair 450 and an ARB deflator. 

#9 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:09 AM

Here's what I posted in another thread some years ago, and I'm still happy with the Roadmaster coil springs.  They are adjustable.  Assume they are still available, and were reasonably priced.  Also recently upgraded my rear shocks and ride is very good on paved road and off.   In the meantime have upgraded to E tires (from P) and that makes a big difference too.

Unlike air bags or extra leafs, they won't break or fail and operate only when loaded, and no maintenance required. I recently did a 2-week trip in my 09 Silverado 1500 with a camper at payload capacity, and it handled very well on all types of roads from highway to 4x, in wind and curves, and steering is fine. When truck is unloaded the extra springs are inactive.

so tried the google for roadmaster springs, and kept getting buick roadmaster. any more specific on the springs??  also, what type of shocks?  thx

Oregon

#10 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:27 AM

Roadmaster Active Suspension    https://activesuspension.com/

I paid $430 for the pair in 2017; they are vehicle-specific.  The springs mount horizontally above the leafs as a helper.

New rear shocks are Rancho, but upgrade from GM OEM; don't have the model #.

Edited by lostcreek, 06 February 2021 - 03:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users