• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:08 PM

Well said. That is the black hole a lot of people seem to fall into. Especially over at Expedition Portal.

I really like your rig. It is capable and well equipped while being very simple.

Thanks, Kolockum. I like your signature about the nut behind the wheel being the most important one. Don'r forget to snug yourself up every once in a while.

Rich

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#12 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:13 AM

Thanks, Kolockum. I like your signature about the nut behind the wheel being the most important one. Don'r forget to snug yourself up every once in a while.

Rich

Thanks. I am adding the second part to my signature. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#13 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:23 PM

Rich

Thanks again.

Now I have Sport A Seats on my to buy list

Dave

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:54 AM

Dave,

The CM deck consists of series of tongue and groove, ribbed aluminum panels. The are really nice. Waterproof, corrosion resistant.I laid a thin but heavy-duty piece of standard truck-bed rubber matting down, on the deck, to prevent the camper from slipping or vibrating. It provides some cushioning, protects the deck (not that it needs protecting) and works very well. Probably a good idea when you eventually get your flatbed.

The two seats, inside, are made by Sport-A-Seat. I originally used them on a cruising boat, in the cockpit. So they hold up to salt spray, UV, and anything else an outdoor, marine environment can throw at it. They are also very comfortable, even on a hard teak deck. So I thought they would practical in the camper. Inside a camper they can fold flat and stow easily and take up very little space. There are copies of this seat that are sold at big box stores that are cheaply made and cost a bit less, but they really don't compare at all in quality or comfort.

Rich

Rich, what features had you getting the RD bed vs the RS bed?

#15 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:04 PM

Nice build! I've always wondered on these flat beds, can a spare tire still fit in the stock location?

#16 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:35 PM

Vic, when I went to look at the CMs at the local distributor, they had a few different types in the yard,  both in aluminum, as well as steel. But only one of beds on the lot, the 84-inch RD, was the proper length for my specific 78-inch short-bed. The 84 inch RD simply looked correct, too, as if it were an OEM design. I did see the RS and other models as well, and could have ordered one that fit, but in the end, as it turned out, I took the RD that they already had on the lot, as it was the most appealing for my purposes, for a few differnt reasons. For instance, the RD has an HD 18,500 lb.-rated B&W bumper pull hitch with receiver tube, which is integrated into the entire frame. Ideal for towing or winch work or self recovery, if necessary, or simply to use as a hitch-step mount. On mine, for instance I use two flip-down aluminum steps, one in the hitch-receiver, and one mounted directly to the solid skirt just to the right and about 12 inches above the hitch to get into the rear door on the Hawk shell. The RS model doesn't include this integrated bumper-hitch. The RD model is also a bit more HD and resistant to stress with it's subframe crossmembers constucted of 3-inch, 3/16-inch steel channel. That is not available on the RS model. The RD has a tapered-corner skirt on the aft end and just suited my design plans better for building out my flip-down side rails and installation of additional exterior propane tanks at the tapered aft ends. This was probably more of a personal preference than a structural advantage. The RS is only available in a straight, non-tapered angle back, which is fine. The price tag on the RS is a little less than the RD but not significantly so. Both are well made.  Choosing one over the other primarily depends on your intended use.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 18 January 2021 - 02:04 AM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#17 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:53 PM

Nice build! I've always wondered on these flat beds, can a spare tire still fit in the stock location?

Adventurebound, thanks for the comment. And that's a good question. The answer is yes! The CM, for instance, does not interfere with the trucks frame in any way. It is simply installed onto it, using both thru-bolts as well as spot welding in key locations. If you had, say, a spare tire that is mounted under the frame, and lowered  onto the ground with a long rod, inserted into a hole in the bumper, then that won't change if you install the flatbed. The only thing you need to do, if the flatbed has an aft skirt, like on the CM RD model, is drill a 1/2 inch hole through the flat skirt panel so that the cranking rod can get to the spare tire receiver in order to crank it down or up. It's nice that you do to not have to lose that functionality when you swap out a pickup bed to a flatbed. On a side note the flatbed did not interfere with my airbag install - again, part of the trucks frame, not the flatbed's.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 17 January 2021 - 07:53 PM.

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#18 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:13 AM

Vic, one thing I forgot to mention was that the RD comes stock with a Gooseneck hitch, a 30K B&W hitch with welded ball that is recessed below the deck and accessed via a hinged aluminum trap door on the surface of the deck. I had no immediate use for it with my setup, but that might be an advantage for anyone pulling a heavy trailer.or just wanting to stow a little gear in that hideaway compartment when the camper is off the truck and used as a work truck, or whatever..

Rich

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:24 AM

Thanks Rich.  Does the RD sit higher because of those steel crossmembers?

#20 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Rich.  Does the RD sit higher because of those steel crossmembers?

Vic, I don't know if the RD sits higher than the RS, not sure how they construct the subframe on the RS. My guess is that it is the same basic frame and same basic height, the only difference being they don't incorporate the steel crossmembers, which sit in the gap on the subframe that the RD fills in with structural-steel crossmembers. The RD flatbed does sit a few inches higher than the original pickup body, however, if thats a concern. But practically speaking it's not an issue unless overhead clearance, say for a garage door, where a couple of inches in clearance height might be ia factor. It's also not an easy step on the rear bumper and you slip into the rear door kind of thing, like it typically is on a lower-sitting pickup body. But that's a non issue with the right type of steps. Here's a link to a CM trade show video, if your interested, which shows the deck and subframe rails and crossmembers of a CM RD.

https://youtu.be/kl4CCYUdWC8?t=342

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 18 January 2021 - 08:18 PM.

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk shell, aluminum flatbed, hybrid buildout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users