• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:16 PM

I've recently landed a loaded Hawk and currently have it sitting on a 2002 Sierra 1500 w/airbags. During our first trip, my fiance and I, plus our gear, NO water in the Hawk, we're at 400 lbs over our GVWR, according to the scale at the dump. We knew we were pushing it so we opted for not filling during this trip, just carried a 5 gal jug. The 1500 drives around no problem , but the sway and taking it down some dirt roads definitely makes me nervous.

Anyways looking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton and my price range puts me in a Gasser with 125-200k miles, or a diesel with 200k+ miles (year 2000-2008ish). The Hawk will live on the truck as we'll definitely use it year round.

Main question: Does the fact that the camper will live on the truck make a diesel the better choice?

Here are some questions. Your current truck has air bags.

How are the lines plumed for the bags? Do you have one valve to put the air in the bags or do you have two?

What PSI are you running in the bags?

What is the rating on your tires?

#12 tstumpfig

tstumpfig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

Here are some questions. Your current truck has air bags.

How are the lines plumed for the bags? Do you have one valve to put the air in the bags or do you have two?

What PSI are you running in the bags?

What is the rating on your tires?

Separate, 2 valve

40-50 ish. 

E rated

2005 FWC Hawk

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax CCSB

#13 Cottonww

Cottonww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:27 PM

My son has a half-ton rated Tundra with a Hawk, no sway plenty of power.

Regarding diesel, been there done that. Loved the turbo diesel with a large Hallmark with bathroom etc, going up the Colorado passes. 

Problem: wife hated the noise and smell; cold weather starting; oil changes are expensive with that large oil reservoir and need to be changed more frequently that gaser; in Colorado diesels have to have emissions tests every year. Altogether I found diesel far more expensive to operate per mile that gaser.

#14 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:39 PM

We ended up purchasing an F350 with the 6.2L gas engine for many of the same reasons mentoned already.  The 6.2L works fine with our fully-loaded Grandby even going over mountain passes in the Sierra.  So, no regrets skipping the extra cost, complexity, and weight of the diesel.  However, the one thing I am envious of is the diesel gas mileage and the extra range you have as a result.

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#15 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:48 AM

Separate, 2 valve

40-50 ish. 

E rated

I am surprised that you have sway. I have two valves/ I'm only running 20 to 30 PSI in my bags, and 55 to 60 PSI in my tires.  On my 05 Tundra I have no sway that you are talking about. 

#16 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:45 AM

I have an ATC Ocelot on a 2013 Ford F-150 with a 3.7 liter engine.  Wasn’t thinking camper when I bought it.  I was thinking firewood, manure for garden, lumber, etc.  However, it works fine with the Ocelot, has enough power.  I get about 16 mpg with camper on for trips.   We’re probably  at payload, though.

We have kicked around the idea of “moving up” to a 3/4 or one ton for more payload until I looked at specs of new trucks. Payloads and horsepower for gas half tons have increased dramatically.  For example, one version of the 2021 F150 with the 3.7 ecoboost engine (500 lb ft of torque) has a payload of 3,250 lbs.  Crazy.  Not buying at this time.  I tend to keep vehicles for at least a decade though my around town vehicle is a 04. 

#17 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:48 PM

I started with my Hawk full time on a 1st gen Tundra 4.0 V-6 motor(drove it 3 years). Now on a F250 4x4 6.2 gasser. Much better handling and braking is very good. Lost about 1 mpg(little 6 cyl was working hard), I gladly accept that loss of mileage for what I gained. I looked at 3/4 ton diesels, crunched the numbers; up front cost, expensive oil changes, fuel costs/savings, 5-6k miles usage per year and found the diesel payoff was at about  210-220 miles. So unless you need/want all the extra power stay with gas(my 2 cents).  Having said all that, there are 1/2 ton trucks with payload packages and better mileage figures, that will do the job too. What pressure do you run your tires at? I typically run 65 front-70 rear, not just for the load but it reduces sidewall flex contributing to less sway.

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:17 AM

@Vic: Airbags are plumbed separately, took a while to get them balanced right with a bike pump lol

Ha, I'm out of the city using four-wheel drive often, but new to doing it with a camper and overweight truck (or maybe i'm just not used to it), but it doesn't feel totally safe to me. I'm in the camp of just going for a truck that's built to do what i need it to, trying to avoid band-aid type upgrades.

Appreciate the input, I kinda fell into the rabbit hole when looking to upgrade thinking "why don't I just got for a diesel?" Coming to realize that is far from necessary, not going to be towing any significant weight anytime soon (but it would be preeetty sweet to have one). Probably try to hone in on a gasser and save a few bucks. Thanks for bringing me back! (for now)

The other thing that had me going diesel is the driving range.  How far out can I go?  If you are thinking Alaska, longer range is a good thing.  The truck gets better fuel economy than most, plus I can get a 62 gal aftermarket tank that fits under the bed of the truck

#19 Cottonww

Cottonww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:49 PM

Regarding sway, none of us mentioned tires. What do you have for tires? I had sway and put BFG 10 ply tires on my rig. No sway!

10 ply is essential for carrying a camper.

#20 tstumpfig

tstumpfig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:21 AM

The other thing that had me going diesel is the driving range.  How far out can I go?  If you are thinking Alaska, longer range is a good thing.  The truck gets better fuel economy than most, plus I can get a 62 gal aftermarket tank that fits under the bed of the truck

The range advantage is definitely the most intriguing part of a diesel to me

2005 FWC Hawk

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax CCSB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users