14 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:32 AM

A tidbit of information led us away for a few days. Did we find what we were looking for? The story and answer is now posted to our blog and you can find it here -

Nevada Ancient Rock Art - January 2021

Please enjoy. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:46 AM

Loved this bit "On this morning I comforted myself with the thought that our flag is now a battered and frayed Tibetan prayer flag - with the hope, like prayers and mantras, the respect and values that use to be associated with it will be blown by the wind to spread good will and compassion into all."

Those pictographs... red and white.  Both from the same era, or one overlaying the other?

#3 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:14 PM

Great TR. Couldn’t agree more on the grazing permits. I know we have more important issues to tackle but maybe the DOI can begin a review process. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

Loved this bit "On this morning I comforted myself with the thought that our flag is now a battered and frayed Tibetan prayer flag - with the hope, like prayers and mantras, the respect and values that use to be associated with it will be blown by the wind to spread good will and compassion into all."

Those pictographs... red and white.  Both from the same era, or one overlaying the other?

Vic, you are always so kind with your comments, thank you. In regards to the pictograph colors, I believe most were done at the same time. But, your question is an excellent one. With the brightest colors it looks like red went over the white. The interesting photo is the 8th in the series. There is a classic wavy line - a symbol widely seen in petroglyphs - that is faint red horizontal across the top of the image. The white circles are over it. This may well be two different eras and the newer symbols may be over the top of an older pictograph panel.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Great TR. Couldn’t agree more on the grazing permits. I know we have more important issues to tackle but maybe the DOI can begin a review process. 

Thanks MDR! Cows and grazing is a complex issue. My main concern is the impacts to native species, especially in regards to water sources that are critical to survival.

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for another wonderful TR. We all complain about how all the places we loved to visit are ruined by maddening crowds and will never be the same.  Your trips give inspiration that there are countless places out there where one can still experience beauty and solitude.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the tour.

Must have been very cold to have the stream freeze

up like that.

Art work seemed to be a mystery about the battle.

Shame to see the land abused by the cattle.

Thanks for sharing.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for another wonderful TR. We all complain about how all the places we loved to visit are ruined by maddening crowds and will never be the same.  Your trips give inspiration that there are countless places out there where one can still experience beauty and solitude.

Thanks Ronin! Yup, there is so much out there to explore. We've only scratched the surface.  :)

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the tour.

Must have been very cold to have the stream freeze

up like that.

Art work seemed to be a mystery about the battle.

Shame to see the land abused by the cattle.

Thanks for sharing.

Frank

You are welcome Frank! That part of the canyon is in shade all day and cold air sinks, so it is a cold spot. Walk around a corner into the shade and it is like walking into a freezer.

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:24 PM

Those ocher pigments remind me of another pictograph site you recently published.   We had the good fortune to visit the same locale and found the same cave.  The raven feathers were still strewn about!  We enjoyed circumambulating that wonderful quiet valley with no outlet.

My question is about the source of the pigments.  I wonder what materials they could use to create these long lasting pigments.

If my house paint would last hundreds of years, I could save a bundle!

Completely agree about cattle in the desert.  They don't belong there IMHO

Gold Butte is another example of a trampled desert, with petrified cowplops everywhere.  

I imagine the local animals living a hard life already, get squeezed out when water is used up for imported cows.

Edited by Lighthawk, 21 January 2021 - 04:30 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users