14 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:27 PM

Those ocher pigments remind me of another pictograph site you recently published.   We had the good fortune to visit the same locale and found the same cave.  The raven feathers were still strewn about!  We enjoyed circumambulating that wonderful quiet valley with no outlet.

My question is about the source of the pigments.  I wonder what materials they could use to create these long lasting pigments.

If my house paint would last hundreds of years, I could save a bundle!

Completely agree about cattle in the desert.  They don't belong there IMHO

Gold Butte is another example of a trampled desert, with petrified cowplops everywhere.  

I imagine the local animals living a hard life already, get squeezed out when water is used up for imported cows.

Thanks Lighthawk! The place you mention is indeed special. I also am curious about the pigments and sources. Ah, another item to research! An archeological report on one site on our long long list states the source of the pigments used is at the site. We'll get out there........................................ :)

After our first visit to Gold Butte, I shared photos with a friend - a licensed rangeland manager with a long career - and he was livid about the abuses evident in the photos.

Safe and happy travels to you and SR.

In regard to the pictographs, I'm just learning to use DStretch and added two enhanced photos to our blog post on this adventure.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

My question is about the source of the pigments.  I wonder what materials they could use to create these long lasting pigments.

If my house paint would last hundreds of years, I could save a bundle!

There is a spot not far from us where I'm told indigenous folks used to get their red paint pigment, and when the settlers arrived, they did to and sent the pigment far and wide.  

Kootenay National Park - Wikipedia

Vic

#13 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:12 AM

last summer/fall we noticed that the fencing around a spring and parts of a meadow were down, and cattle all over the place.  i wrote the forest service, and they got back to me in a short time.  they actually were going to put up a beefier fence this winter with a bunch of donated materials.  hopefully this will work, and the meadow/spring will recover.

i inquired as to why the range permit owners were not fixing the fence, and keeping their animals out of the meadow....   didnt seem like a big ask to me.

Oregon

#14 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:03 PM

Various minerals have historically been used as pigments. Most commonly you'd see oxides and sulfides of metallic minerals used.  Ocher in particular is often produced from cinnabar, HgS (mercury sulfide)--a highly toxic ore mineral of mercury. 

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

Various minerals have historically been used as pigments. Most commonly you'd see oxides and sulfides of metallic minerals used.  Ocher in particular is often produced from cinnabar, HgS (mercury sulfide)--a highly toxic ore mineral of mercury. 

Of topic:  Cinnabar Springs in Southern Oregon reportedly was where early settlers would go to take “the waters” when they were recipients of certain social diseases.  I suspect they might have been a bit crazy, too.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users