2 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:19 PM

Greetings all

On my Lance 650 I have struggled keeping the rear turnbuckles tight. I asked myself rather I was tightening them too little or too much. Also I heard Happijac rear turnbuckles were stress-guard type. I did not know what that meant. Happijac shows the innards of the fronts that have springs in them. But not the rears  https://happijac.com/turnbuckles.html

After a very off-axis near calamity while going down a trail I shouldn't have, I needed to lift the camper up and readjust it in the bed since it had shifted.

While doing so I noticed the rears did not seem to have anything in them that would help with turnbuckle stress. All I heard was metal to metal contact when playing with the turnbuckle while they were off.

I emailed Happijac and Tyler send me this very helpful information and a picture.

"The rear turnbuckles have an o-ring between the end of the hook stem that may have deteriorated over time.  See attachment.  The function of the rear turnbuckle is to hold the rear of the camper securely to the bed of the truck, while the fronts have the springs to help dampen the pitch and roll of the camper.  Truly, the rear turnbuckle shouldn't have any real movement as this would magnify the roll of the camper.  It's fine to just have the rears installed until there's no slack in the turnbuckle tube, and then give the barrel 3 more full turns of tightness to get the optimization of the rear turnbuckle.
As far as replacing the o-ring, there's no option because the barrels are crimped around the top and bottom.  Just make sure that you're getting the rears nice and secure, even if it's metal on metal.  If you would like to replace the rear turnbuckles, we have them available as part #182900 for the STANDARD turnbuckle and #182896 for the QUICK LOAD version.  These are available online for the best pricing."
Thanks
Tyler Brian
Happijac Tech / Warranty Manager

Attached Thumbnails

• happijac_stressguard.jpg

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2021 - 04:45 PM

Interesting- I have a set of HappiJac's - probably had them 25+ years.

I knew the long front ones had a spring in them and knew the rear short ones had rubber but never knew how the rubber functioned- I had assumed it was just a piece of rubber tubing with the hook portion compressing it when stressed.  

I'm not sure I'm clear on how an "O ring" does the job.

I recently picked up a used ATC Panther 2000mi from home- I had taken every turnbuckle I owned to be sure I could secure it in the bed of my F150.  Ended up using the ancient HappiJacs.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#3 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:04 PM

Yeah I reused the turnbuckles on the new rig. Had to buy new Torklift tiedowns however. 2021 not the same as my 2005.

3-25-2021 lance on 3500 sm.jpg

Edited by dorocks, 02 April 2021 - 04:05 PM.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users