19 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

Gee, I dunno. So many plant based meat substitutes are on supermarket shelves today, but I didn’t see the vegetable beef type on display.  Where did you find it?

:D

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:49 AM

Gee, I dunno. So many plant based meat substitutes are on supermarket shelves today, but I didn’t see the vegetable beef type on display.  Where did you find it?

:D

Paul

Paul, we have so much research into this effort, I’m somewhat hesitant to discuss, but here are a few of the successes.  We started by using black angus animals exclusively.  

The first cross was with Yukon gold potatoes, and result was a potato that would moo when sliced.  Still, it was a decent potato.

The next successful crossing was with tomatoes, and of course the result was a new and tasty variety of beefsteak tomato.  They work well in soups and stews.

I saved the best for last, as I am very proud of our efforts with onions.  The usual result was an onion with a large udder and hooves, but once in a while, once in a very great while, we would get an onion that tasted so good it would bring tears to our eyes.

While supplies are limited, a few grocery stores are beginning to carry the hybrids.   Look for them in the aisles with coolers near produce and dairy.   :P

I am haunted by waters

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:52 AM

And I thought this topic was about cast iron ☺

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

One of the things that makes winter is wood stove top cooking. Up until last year we didn't have a furnace but relied exclusively on wood for heat so it was hot for 5 months. We still depend on it for most of the heat but now not slave to it. We arte fortunate to have farms all around who supply local meats. Being Irish I tend to favor lamb. There is nothing better than a slow cooked stew on the stove... the house smells so good and with a nice loaf of bread with Irish butter.... who care how much snow is out there. 

Attached Files

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#15 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

Wandering that was a good one(s). I will never look at a beefsteak tomato or onion the same now! I have been using our cast iron DO in the oven for a series of mexican dishes - enchiladas, layered torts (enchiladas essentially) and some antelope concoctions. Keep up the cooking!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

Wandering that was a good one(s). I will never look at a beefsteak tomato or onion the same now! I have been using our cast iron DO in the oven for a series of mexican dishes - enchiladas, layered torts (enchiladas essentially) and some antelope concoctions. Keep up the cooking!

I’d love to learn your recipe for the enchiladas!

BTW, Paul’s setup was just too good to let it pass.  I’m glad you liked the chuckle.

I am haunted by waters

#17 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:06 AM

Happy to have been of service.  :D

Seems like getting away from the PDX metro air quality has given you an unfair advantage in unleashing the creative juices. 

Paul

ps. Keep it up!

I thought getting old would take longer.

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:44 AM

And I thought this topic was about cast iron ☺

Inquiring minds want to know what kind of cast iron you're sporting there, Mr. Sage.

I'm mostly a Griswold fan, but have one Staub.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:09 AM

Andy, most of ours, courtesy of our daughter’s professional chef discount, is Le Creuset.  I also use some antique Lodge and an unknown mfr griddle.  I’m not familiar with Griswold, but have a good opinion of Staub.

I am haunted by waters

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:31 AM

Cowboy Kent takes a shortcut...

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users