• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:44 PM

I have been considering adding a shower enclosure for some time.  My on-line research has revealed a surprising number of Camper/Rack Mounted shower enclosure brands some of which may not be readily available in the US. They are all very similar but do vary in zipper location, fold out locking mechanism, size of the support arms, type of side wall fabric, attachment method for the side walls, and interior features like zip down back wall for vehicle access and interior mesh bag sizes and locations.

Alu-Cab Shower Cube

Ironman Ensuite

23Zero Perigrene

Zero Declination Drop Tent

Kinsmmen Shower Stall

Direct 4x4 Overland Expedition Fold-Out Shower Privacy Curtain Side Box

ToughStuff Shower Tent

QuickPitch Quick-en-Suite

Nomad by Caos

Wild Dog Outdoor ensuite Shower Enclosure

Other options might be Fiamma 45s with privacy room light or an ARB awning with room attachment  $$$

Some questions I have for those who have used any of these on a camper with a pressurized hot water system and external shower control box with valve and shower head:

What brand/model of enclosure do you have?

How do you access the shower valve controls and shower head?

What is the best location for the zippered access opening? (I.E. next to the truck or outside corner or middle of side wall or somewhere else)   (I can look up the location of the access opening by brand)

Does the side wall material make a lot of noise in wind?  (I can look up the sidewall material type by brand - however, if there was a choice then please specify the fabric you have)

Is the sidewall material semi transparent or completely opaque?  (I can look up the material color by brand)

Are the sizes and locations of the interior mesh pockets adequate?  (I can look up the locations and sizes by brand)

Is the tent wall attachment robust and easy to adjust?

Are the support arms robust, do the arms lock when extended and do the locks work well?

Are the enclosure stake down points adequate and can you easily use the shower in moderately windy conditions?

Are there any situations where you would like a top over the enclosure (one or two brands offer tops)

Do you have any smell or mold issues with the material?

How long does the material need to dry before closing it up in the storage bag?

Is the enclosure large enough to accommodate disrobing, showering and dressing without getting the clean clothes wet?

What things do you like and dislike about your shower enclosure?

I look forward to reading your answers to these questions.  I think they will be useful to a lot of people.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#2 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

"Is the enclosure large enough to accommodate disrobing, showering and dressing without getting the clean clothes wet?"

That's the issue that's always given me pause re these, plus avoiding a trek back inside through mud you've just made.

#3 okiedavid

okiedavid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:58 PM

"Is the enclosure large enough to accommodate disrobing, showering and dressing without getting the clean clothes wet?"

That's the issue that's always given me pause re these, plus avoiding a trek back inside through mud you've just made.

I carry a teak slotted floor, about 3x3, that I put down inside my Zero Declination Drop Tent. I leave a pair of sandals just outside the tent for the short trek back into the camper.  This is the same approach I used before I got the tent. As far the rest of the long list of questions, it basically boils down to it just works. They are common for a reason. It's not perfect, as a little bigger would be better but there's always trade offs. 

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:08 AM

okiedavid,

Thanks for your comment.

I failed to add that we have been using a cheap pop up enclosure and we do use a 3x3 teak "mat".  The enclosure is not satisfactory before even considering how easily it blows around in modest breezes.  So that has led to investigating the fold out units.  Now trying to pick one.

There are other options besides the fold out enclosures, such as an awning with sides that can be added, and there is a range of prices and even variation of sizes among these units.  Hence the questions.

I would like to read more details about your experience using the Zero Declination drop tent, particularly anything you think needs improvement in future models

Edited by ckent323, 24 January 2021 - 12:09 AM.

#5 okiedavid

okiedavid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:59 AM

okiedavid,

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to read more details about your experience using the Zero Declination drop tent, particularly anything you think needs improvement in future models

2020 was my first year of owning one, so have only a few trips with it so far. Well the first thing that drew me to the Zero Declination option if I’m being honest was that it was cheap. 2nd was that it was being marketed by someone who also owns a Four Wheel Camper and knew exactly how it was to be mounted. The inside wall (I.e., closest to the camper) zips down as far as needed to reach all the controls. The pockets are plenty big for shampoo, etc., but towels stay outside, I put my chair next to it for that and the sandals. It can be staked down and doesn’t seem to move around in the wind. The arms don’t lock open, but with it staked that doesn’t seem to be an issue. I have used without being staked but the wind will drive that decision. The design of this one is to have the zipper opening on a corner away from the camper. As a guy, I’ve never worried about needing a top. As far as mold, I leave it up after shower for a few minutes as I go back inside to finish drying off and changing clothes, usually is bone dry by the time I pack it away. If money were no object, I would have gotten one with a rigid metal case instead of the vinyl bag version I have, but other than that I’m very satisfied.  

#6 okiedavid

okiedavid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:09 AM

Not sure if you're on FB, or if I can even link it but here's a video of the second time I set up the Zero Declination last July. 

Edited by okiedavid, 24 January 2021 - 01:11 AM.

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:03 AM

okiedavid,

Thanks!

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

275AC588-92AE-4488-8199-E1823CFC7869.jpeg

QuickPitch Quick-en-Suite

What brand/model of enclosure do you have? - Quick Pitch

How do you access the shower valve controls and shower head?- see picture for clarification but our shower hose is long enough to reach the enclosure and it hangs between the vertical straps that supports the partition.

What is the best location for the zippered access opening? (I.E. next to the truck or outside corner or middle of side wall or somewhere else)   (I can look up the location of the access opening by brand) - we have a zipper access on both sides of the cube

Does the side wall material make a lot of noise in wind?  (I can look up the sidewall material type by brand - however, if there was a choice then please specify the fabric you have) - it does not make any appreciable noise

Is the sidewall material semi transparent or completely opaque?  (I can look up the material color by brand) - completely opaque

Are the sizes and locations of the interior mesh pockets adequate?  (I can look up the locations and sizes by brand) - we have no issues

Is the tent wall attachment robust and easy to adjust?- Very!

Are the support arms robust, do the arms lock when extended and do the locks work well? - unlike some other brands the Quick Pitch has arms on all 3 sides and easily secures into place.

Are the enclosure stake down points adequate and can you easily use the shower in moderately windy conditions? - yes

Are there any situations where you would like a top over the enclosure (one or two brands offer tops) - not that I can think of

Do you have any smell or mold issues with the material?- Nine what so ever. We usually try and completely dry it out before rolling it up and this usually takes an hour or two at the most of course depending on atmospheric conditions..

How long does the material need to dry before closing it up in the storage bag? - see above

Is the enclosure large enough to accommodate disrobing, showering and dressing without getting the clean clothes wet? - yes. What we do is to place a small table near one of the access zippers with all our clothes and towel. When finished showering we just reach out for the towel and dry off. I then hang the towel on the arms of the quick pitch and start reaching for individual pieces of my clothing,

What things do you like and dislike about your shower enclosure?- I love how simple and quick it is to set up and put away. I wish it wasn’t as expensive but there is quality in the product. As you can see from the picture at Hallmark when we were getting it installed we opted for the aluminum enclosure instead of the fabric even though it is more expensive but we don’t have to worry about the bag deteriorating.

‘Let me know if you have any other questions...

One other point about showering .... we use my drivers side Weathertech floor mat to stand on while using our quick pitch. That way we keep our feet out of the mud/sand  and it works great.

Here’s a great video review...

https://youtu.be/Hsh8t-y-0wI

Edited by smlobx, 25 January 2021 - 01:48 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:59 PM

Here's what we did:

https://www.wanderth...ower-enclosure/

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#10 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:25 PM

smlobx,

Thanks for the helpful info.

DoGMAtix,

Great idea.   Thanks.   Where do you store the curtain? 

We already have too much stuff in the camper and the attraction of the bolt on units is they are self contained and stay outside, but more expensive too.

Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users