• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:52 PM

Wow that is scary! Glad you are OK. But I also would bet that you got clipped by the trucks mirrors. I’m sure if you looked at the truck you could tell. There is damage don’t let them get away with it.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#12 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:04 PM

Glad you are ok. By the damage (and lack of damage on their part) I assume you were hit by a semi-truck

Hire a flat bed tow truck to pull the camper off your totaled rig. They will have to slide it but if they are careful it shouldn't do much damage. Then have them take the camper to FWC or nearby dealer. Their insurance should be paying for that or if they are not insured then your insurance should be covering it.

That camper took a significant impact and probably has a lot of broken/cracked welds all over. I imagine they will have to take all the siding off to inspect for damage. 

For reference on the amount of force needed to do that much damage. I was run off the road in Utah and hit a sign pole in the ditch at 50 mph. It destroyed my rear view mirror and only put about a half inch deep by 2" wide by 8" tall dent in the corner of the camper. Then the sign post proceeded destroy the entire side of my bed. These campers are stout units. The damage on yours is far more extensive than that. I am shocked that none of your turnbuckles broke or ripped out.

Edited by Kolockum, 26 January 2021 - 10:06 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:14 PM

If you don't think the jack bracket will work on the

drivers side try to get the tri pod jacks one on each

side around the middle of the camper.

Or a fork lift.

Hope this works out without many problems.

Use your insurance people to do get this right.

After all that's what you pay them for.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:31 AM

Hello campito
Looking at the edge of the bracket which is attached to the camper, I would except to see black rubber marks from the tire not the metal on metal where the paint is removed. In all honesty I see no tire rubber marks on your vehicle at all.

These reports generated by LEO are available for free to the insurance agencies. ( at least here in NV they are) Maybe you could enquirer to get a copy.
If the CHP officer is a seasoned officer this might be irrelevant, however if a younger officer, what experience in accident investigation does he/she have?

IMO you need to be an advocate for yourself. Are there any witnesses? What is the driving record of the other driver? How can you provide evidence the other vehicle crossed into your lane of travel?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#15 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:03 AM

good luck, and glad you are ok.  i suspect this was a larger vehicle with large tires, which protude when they are turned.  the other drivers insurance should take care of, but i agree to let your insurance get after them, as they know the drill.  its cheaper for them to make a few calls, or write letters, than having to take the accident on their policy.

hopefully it was not a government vehicle - when my daughter was in college in socal, she was a passenger in a small car in the angeles forest, and a natl forest truck went wide on a corner and plowed into them . she made it out ok, physically, but her friend, the driver didnt make it.  the forest service, dept of agriculture dragged that settlement out for as long as they could, and at the end of the day she really only recovered a few K .

Oregon

#16 campito

campito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBishop

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:40 AM

thanks all.  after the fact I kick myself for not walking back to the truck that hit me, and it was a big truck.  Flatbed carrying a car.  CHP said he should not have been on that segment of road.  I was stuck in the middle of the road, in a curve, and didn't feel comfortable walking the few curves back where he was parked.  Once the CHP was there he didn't want me walking around.  It was a pretty dangerous area without much space on either side.  It was also 34 degrees and raining, so I was pretty cold for the 3 hrs this took.  So I have no info, my own pictures of his truck, etc.

I talked to my adjuster today and she really seemed on the ball, so I think they will represent me well.  And bottom line, other than a bloody knuckle from air bag, I'm ok.  

I also got a private message through WTW from someone who has jacks and a truck just like mine in Bishop and has offered to help.  How cool is that!  

2012 Fleet, 2005 Tundra

formally know as DonC before all my accounts were hacked

#17 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:17 AM

when my daughter was in college in socal, she was a passenger in a small car in the angeles forest, and a natl forest truck went wide on a corner and plowed into them . she made it out ok, physically, but her friend, the driver didnt make it.  the forest service, dept of agriculture dragged that settlement out for as long as they could, and at the end of the day she really only recovered a few K .

What a terrible experience for your daughter. And, speaking from long experience, the USFS approach to the incident does not surprise me. The lawyers push the supervisors and the operators out of the way instantly, and regardless of what the supervisors and operators thought the right thing to do was, they never came near the incident again, I imagine. Lawyers are a curse. Fed gov lawyers may be among the worst. I hope your daughter is not too plagued by the incident. Best wishes.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:19 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident but so happy to hear a local has the jacks for you. Good luck with insurance.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

Glad you all are OK! I would contact your Insurance ASAP get them and their team involved. I don't imagine they want to pay for damage done by another. The Four Wheel Camper FB group can help and I'm pretty sure Stan monitors it. They may be able to help or give good advice. I know it's probably bad timing to ask but I'd be interested in knowing what your Insurance says too. It's in the back of my mind that I may not be properly covered :(

#20 campito

campito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBishop

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

Seems there could be 3 areas of damage

- the obvious impact dent and what it may have done inside the camper

- did the impact do anything to the structure

- did the impact do anything to the tie down points in the camper and truck