#11 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 19 August 2021 - 03:28 PM

Nice work, brave man. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#12 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:21 PM

Kind of boggles my mind;

Sawdust that's 6 years older than I am!  :blink:  :cool:

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

#13 fesser

fesser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNapa, CA

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:42 AM

Not sure if it's bravery or stupidity but I appreciate the comments.  I too was blown away by the sawdust.  I just hope I don't ruin the whole thing.  I never pulled the back tin and then when I looked at it today I remembered why.  The outer door frame is nailed on with round headed nails and there is no easy way to pull them without destroying metal.  I finally bored a hole in the interior side of the plywood and was able to knock a nail out with a punch from that side.  I will update soon.  Time for Advil.

#14 fesser

fesser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNapa, CA

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:40 PM

Some pictures of rear panel removal...

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

This is why I hate seeing water stains inside Alaskans.  They are almost never just stains.  This is what the door frame looked like after pulling the aluminum trim off.

IMG_4135.jpg

The framework that lives under the skin...

IMG_4136.jpg

Using the old plywood as a template for my new piece.

IMG_4103.jpg

My table saw is a little portable unit that is pretty well worthless for cutting large pieces.  I called a guy who was selling a big Unisaw with tables and extended fences.  When he heard what I wanted it for he recommended buying a track saw.  I didn't know they existed until then.  I ended up buying a pretty cheap one and I love it.  Cuts plywood like a dream, and doesn't take up any space in my shop.

IMG_4098.jpg

Front piece with one coat of shellac...

IMG_4131.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users