Photo

Questions regarding "So, you want to setup a good electrical system in your camper?"

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#131 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 December 2022 - 05:18 PM

Oh yeah, I'd do it for me and not because the gumberment told me that I had to!

Thom

Where does that road go?

#132 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:27 PM

The recent Oregon law change (Jan 2020) requires new RVs titled in Oregon to meet NFPA 1192 or a similar ANSI standard, which contains some sort of battery compartment venting requirement. I couldn’t find a free view of NFPA 1192. Compliance has to be shown by manufacturer statement at the time the new RV is titled. It appears that once you buy it you can alter it without violating the law. As always, altering a regulated aspect of a vehicle carries some risk of denial of an insurance claim.

Edited by Jon R, 07 December 2022 - 08:42 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#133 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:51 PM

The recent Oregon law change (Jan 2020) requires new RVs titled in Oregon to meet NFPA 1192 or a similar ANSI standard, which contains some sort of battery compartment venting requirement. I couldn’t find a free view of NFPA 1192. Compliance has to be shown by manufacturer statement at the time the new RV is titled. It appears that once you buy it you can alter it without violating the law. As always, altering a regulated aspect of a vehicle carries some risk of denial of an insurance claim.

Thanks Jon..I assume NFPA 1192 is a federal statute but what is the Oregon statute changed Jan 2020?

Found this.  Not Federal but RV Industry generated:  "As announced this past summer, the RV Industry Association Board of Directors approved the 2021 edition of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192 RV Standard with an effective date of January 1, 2021 and a mandatory enforcement date of July 1, 2021."  https://www.nfpa.org...etail?code=1192

And yes I would expect Oregon to  glom onto any opportunity exercise regulatory controls in any form.

Would love to read the Oregon statute codifying and stipulating enforcement of RV industry standards.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 07 December 2022 - 09:00 PM.

#134 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:20 PM

NFPA is an industry group that issues standards they hope to be picked up by government regulatory agencies. One thing I find frustrating is that these “private codes” are incorporated by reference in the laws and regulations the public is required to meet, but the groups do their best to charge fees to obtain the codes. A lawyer several years ago filed suits in 50 states to require the codes to be made available for free and he won, but now what the groups do is manipulate the search engines so the free web sites are pushed so far down you can’t find them. That lawyer runs a web site with all 50 states’ electrical, mechanical, and building codes and some other standards. I’m having trouble finding it due to the search engine shenanigans, but I have the address in an email I should be able to track down. If I find it I’ll post it.

Jon R

#135 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:21 PM

Here’s the article I found:
https://www.rvnews.c...e-effect-jan-1/

I do not know the Oregon code system like I do the WA system, but I’ll poke around and see if I can find the new regulation. It’s just going to point at those industry standards, though, and won’t directly say “vent your battery compartment, even if it’s LiFePO.”

Jon R

#136 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 December 2022 - 01:31 AM

Yup...lots of behind the scenes string pulling...by pseudo or appointed or elected powers that be..and no end in sight. :cool:

#137 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 08 December 2022 - 03:51 PM

That begs the question…I use a Renogy LifePo4 encased in an ArkPak battery box. It lives in the bed of my truck, under a topper next to my cot when I’m camping. Am I playing with matches?

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#138 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:11 PM

That begs the question…I use a Renogy LifePo4 encased in an ArkPak battery box. It lives in the bed of my truck, under a topper next to my cot when I’m camping. Am I playing with matches?

What exactly are your concerns?  Ignition/fire?  Fumes?  So far that I can discern BB LiFeP04 batteries do not off gas nor ignite...if in doubt check with Renogy...hey, life is a crap shoot! B)

#139 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:17 PM

Ever really looked under the bed? The amount of wasted space under there is amazing. If you're concerned about the battery I'd look at moving it to under the bed.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#140 FreezingMan

FreezingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 02:47 AM

Only in Oregon?

Wow...where is the statute specifying that the battery box must be sealed? Must be a new mandate since our 2016 Hawk [bought new here in Oregon] did not have a sealed battery box; screwed on lid with gasket was definitely not gas tight. Where was silicon sealant you removed?

Don't doubt it happening here in the Peoples Republic of Oregon and assume then that California would have had such directive first. :rolleyes:

In the for what it’s worth column. In 2014 I purchased Fleet with FD with two AGM batteries. There is not a vent in the battery compartment. We lived in Oregon when we purchased it new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users