• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

It took multiple attempts online and on the phone to put together my three week trip to the Big Bend area of Texas. Currently, all campsites are by reservation only, due to COVID restrictions. I was able to spend 13 nights in Big Bend National Park and eight nights in Big Bend Ranch State Park. Both of these parks offer various levels of RV, Car, overland, backpacking and river camping experiences.

In the National Park I spent my first 7 nights in Cottonwood Campground, which is a campground with potable and non-potable water, picnic tables, trash, bear boxes and concrete privies. No showers or dump station. GENERATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED. There are numerous, excellent hiking trails on this side of the park within a short drive. It sits on the Rio Grande River with easy access if you want to launch a canoe or kayak. 

Sunset Cottonwood Cmpgrd copy.JPG

My next 2 nights were in the Chisos Basin Campground, which has flush toilets, restroom sinks, a dishwashing sink, trash, potable water, covered picnic tables, grills, sits in the Chisos Mountains and is a short walk from many hiking trails as well as a small store, restaurant and the visitor center. No showers or dump station. Unfortunately, generators are allowed.

Both of these campgrounds are accessible to any vehicle, but Chisos Basin Road as well as the campground do have vehicle length limits.

Chisos campsite.JPG

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for part 1.

Beautiful sky. Bear boxes?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:34 AM

See my reference to the PBS Nature show "Big Bend" in part 2 of this thread.  The show gave a great deal of time to the return of black bears to the Big Bend area.   Apparently, they were common in the early 1900's but by 1944 when the park was established there were no resident bears left.  In the 1980's a female showed up and somehow found companionship and the bears did what they know how to do.

Edited by TGK, 12 February 2021 - 02:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users