• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:09 PM

The last four nights in the National Park were in two different primitive high clearance backcountry sites. These sites have a designated parking area, tent site and bear box, nothing else. GENERATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED. They were located well off the main park road, on a gravel access road. Some of the access roads are suitable for typical clearance vehicles, but all roads turn into a slippery mess with any rain or snow. Big Bend National Park is larger than the state of Rhode Island, so camping in various sites, allowed me to explore and hike much of the park, including the desert, canyons and mountains.

Paint Gap copy.JPG

Emory Peak.JPG

Emory Peak

Lost Mine copy copy.JPG

Lost Mine Trail

Big Bend Ranch State Park is divided into two main components. The river corridor and the interior section. The river corridor is accessible by any vehicle. The interior is accessible by most vehicles as far as the Sauceda Ranger station, assuming you don’t mind driving 26 miles on a maintained but wash board gravel road. Beyond the Ranger Station most of the park roads are accessible by high clearance and or 4WD/4WL high clearance, vehicles. Many of these roads have warning signs, and eat AWD Subarus for breakfast. The campsites located on these roads are true overland sites. I even shifted into 4WL a couple of times just to give me a bit more control. These interior campsites have a covered picnic table, bear box in some cases, designated parking and tent area. There are only two campsites with privies. GENERATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Pila Montoya from above copy.JPG

The park is a mecca for mountain bikes, but does offer some nice hikes. I camped in three different interior sites over six nights. I did not hear a man made sound or see a source of artificial light from any of these backcountry sites. The park is a designated international dark sky park, the stars were amazing.

The one negative is that you must check-in and obtain a new permit every time you change sites, so I alternated opposite sides of the park when changing sites. The ranger station is also the only source of potable water and trash in the park. There are also free showers at the ranger station as well. No dump station.

My last two nights were in a river corridor campground, the sites here have covered picnic tables, a privy, trash. No water, no dump station, unfortunately, generators are allowed. 

I use a clean waste toilet system and I was glad I had it. It would have been very difficult to dump a cassette toilet or similar potty legally. They do not allow them to be dumped into the privy or flush toilets. Some of the visitor centers had dump stations. 

I started the trip carrying 20 gallons of water and was always able to fill water before I got down to 7 gallons, but I did make a point of refilling anytime I had the chance. The weather for most days was sunny, warm and windy. 

I highly recommend both parks. If you are a mountain biker, spend most of your time in the state park, if you are a hiker, then the national park offers more hikes. Both parks are extremely popular during spring break, so avoid if possible.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

larryqp, thanks for the nice look at the Big Bend area! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

Thanks ,that's some very rugged country.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:05 PM

Thanks larryqp! Once again you gave me a wealth of information. 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:41 PM

I liked that!  Great to see a NP with lots of wide open spaces, no people and no generators (mostly). Thanks for taking us along.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for the reports on Big Bend. We will be headed there the end of March. Planning just a couple of nights in each park. Sound like the river corridor for us in the Class B. 

#7 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:18 AM

On Wednesday night 2/10, PBS broadcast an episode of the show "Nature" titled Big Bend: The Wild Frontier of Texas.  It almost exclusively focused on the flora, fauna and geology of the area rather than any discussion of modern human access.  I thought it was a great presentation with superb cinematography.  What a remarkable place.  I've never been there, but it's on my bucket list.  

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:24 AM

On Wednesday night 2/10, PBS broadcast an episode of the show "Nature" titled Big Bend: The Wild Frontier of Texas.  It almost exclusively focused on the flora, fauna and geology of the area rather than any discussion of modern human access.  I thought it was a great presentation with superb cinematography.  What a remarkable place.  I've never been there, but it's on my bucket list.  

We caught the tail end and found it quite interesting. We'll watch it this evening.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

Another vote for this episode of Nature.  One of the best we’ve seen.

I am haunted by waters

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:13 PM

<snip> We'll watch it this evening.

Yes we did. Beautifully done. Watch it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users