#1 Tanner07

Tanner07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOlds, Alberta

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:42 PM

Hi all, 

Does anybody have experience mounting a 270 degree awning to their pop-up truck camper? I am looking to buy a truck camper for 2022 season. I will require an awning and I already own an Overland Vehicle Systems 270 degree awning that I'd like to transfer over to the camper. I am concerned that when it wraps around the back, it will block the rear door and I am concerned about the weight as it's about 70 pounds.

I would prefer to keep and use this existing awning because 1) it is paid for and 2) I am not sure how sturdy the ATC/4WC awnings are, which is concerning because I often camp in an extremely windy mountain pass area and need to leave my awning open during the storms.

Pic of current awning to show the level of sturdiness I am looking for as far as the full aluminum frame, multiple tie downs etc.  

Resize-Wizard-1.jpg

Edited by Tanner07, 12 February 2021 - 07:05 PM.

Please fight metallurgical coal mining in Alberta's Eastern Slopes. Thanks.

#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:24 PM

I can’t comment on what you’re trying to do as I have a Hallmark Camper. My suggestion is to confirm it with the manufacturer.

On a slight thread drift I am looking to possibly get the OVS Awning like you have for my Jeep Gladiator build and was wondering how you like it.

Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 Tanner07

Tanner07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOlds, Alberta

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

It is very high quality and is awesome to use and makes a huge difference in what I can and can't do around camp. To put it one way, I like it so much that it's become a major part of which camper I am going to buy. Besides the item being great the customer service from OVS is top shelf as well.

Cons are it can be a little tough to get rolled back up tight enough (easier with two people), and the design allows water to run in and wet the awning when its zipped up at home during a rain storm. OVS told me that they've never seen this happen and even sent me a new cover for free but I don't believe its the cover I believe the water is running in along the aluminum tracks at either end. After rain storms I go outside and unzip the cover and it dries out, a very minor inconvenience but just for a fair review wanted to include.

Would recommend to anybody definitely.

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:26 PM

Thank you. You’ve confirmed what I’ve been able to read about it.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 Tanner07

Tanner07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOlds, Alberta

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:55 AM

Any questions that come to mind let me know. Keep in mind that the tie downs and stuff you see in my picture, a lot of that is stuff I have added after the fact but only because I wanted to overkill it being that I need it to stand up to high winds in the mountain passes where I camp, like 60 MPH gusts with sustained of who knows. Just super windy for hours or days at a time. And it has stood up to that so far (only 1 season of use so far). But I plan to keep it on the long term and will re-buy if something fails due to abuse I subject it to.

#6 norcalhusky

norcalhusky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:21 AM

I actually recently put this awning on my camper. I designed some custom brackets to raise the awning up above the rear door and all that stuff. I don't have any good pictures but here is what I do have: https://photos.app.g...UZAfwLB3QtMbMt7

#7 Tanner07

Tanner07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOlds, Alberta

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:21 PM

I actually recently put this awning on my camper. I designed some custom brackets to raise the awning up above the rear door and all that stuff. I don't have any good pictures but here is what I do have: https://photos.app.g...UZAfwLB3QtMbMt7

That looks awesome. How do the brackets fasten to the side of the camper? Did you drill holes right through and pass bolts to the inside with a nut on the inside?

#8 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

I don't have the same awing but I mounted my Rhino Rack Batwing awning two different ways. 

First time was with jack bracket mounts which worked great but was a pain to remove to reinstall the jacks.

Like mentioned above, the awning needs to be high enough to clear the door so ends up above the side wall height.

20180930_171229-XL.jpg

i-vb7qVQ3-XL.jpg

20191024_073439-L.jpg

The rear upright was a solid 1x2 aluminum bar and the front one was 1x2 tube.

The current mounts consists of aluminum brackets through bolted to the camper wall.

20190928_074146-L.jpg

20191024_082423-XL.jpg

The 1/4 aluminum angle ended up being super strong.  I originally bought enough for 3 brackets but ended up using two.  

Edited by jimjxsn, 22 February 2021 - 02:41 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#9 Tanner07

Tanner07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOlds, Alberta

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

Looks cool jimjxsn, I like both ideas. With the second system you mentioned that it's through bolted. As in, you drilled holes from the outside of the camper through the sheet metal and through the interior wall? Is it easy to find a structural member to mount do while doing that or is the weight of the awning supported entirely by the wall and it's materials?

#10 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:41 AM

The top 6 inches or so of the FWC and ATC campers is solid aluminum. I mounted awnings through the wall on both my old FWC Ranger and my current ATC Panther. I used fender washers on the inside and did not have an issue with inside wall flex.

Edited by jimjxsn, 28 January 2022 - 06:31 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users