• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

I picked it up a couple weeks ago. Special ordered in November.

F350XL Supercab, 8'bed, 4x4, 7.3L Gas 4.30 axles Stone Gray

i-MHJG689-M.jpg

This Truck sits really tall, the floor board is about 40" from the ground (mid thigh)

as soon as I got home I ordered a set of NFab cab length podium step bars.

i-w9dwLpX-M.jpg

At least now I can get in easier.

This shows the difference in height from my 2011 F150

i-trVThwK-M.jpg

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#2 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

A Little background.

When I bought the 2011 F150 I was searching for a truck with an 8'bed. it was the first one I found (it took 3-4months).

It is a super cab 8'bed 5,0 3.73 axle HDPP. (2200lb payload)

the truck served me very well. I was getting into Dual sport motorcycles and "adventure touring". It's a lot of fun and I went some interesting places. As I was getting older and tired of small tents, I got a 6x12 cargo trailer. it worked great, I could put 1 bike in the truck and 1 in the trailer, and stand up inside. Then I took it down some very long dirt roads and found I do not like towing a trailer for 40-50mi down washboarded dirt roads.

I had seen an Alaskan Camper at one campground and thought it seemed like a good way to be self contained. after much research and going to Overland Expo East. I ordered a FWC Granby Shell, I picked it up Jan. 2018.

the combo did pretty well, I had some wallowing in the rear so I put a set of Firestone air bags on. they helped with that.

I did some small trips near home, and bought a hitch hauler to take a bike with me. I thought it was going to work out well.

Then I stopped and weighed my truck and camper. I only had 800lbs left and didn't have food. water clothes, and 2 large dogs in. there was no way I was going to put 550lbs of motorcycle and carrier 3' off the back bumper.

I made a long trip to Overland Expo West (2019) and toured through New Mexico,Arizona, and Utah.

2020 was a bust for me, I haven't gone anywhere, everything local has been really busy.

I turned 59 this year and had been giving a lot of thought for when I stop working and retire. I decided this is a good time to buy a new truck while I still have income coming in.

I researched trucks, and learned that for me going to a F250 would not give me that much more Payload capacity, I did not like being close or over GVWR. So I decided that I would get a F350. I knew I did not want or need a diesel, and spent much time on different forums to see how the 7.3 gas would do. it seems like it will be a very good engine. I spent way too much time searching for something at a dealer close to what I thought I wanted.

In November I decided to go to a local dealer and order a truck that had what I think I want. 10 weeks later I picked it up.

I ended up with 4800lbs of payload capacity!!!, I was expecting about 4000lb. yes it rides a bit stiff empty, but a couple thousand pounds of camper and gear will settle it down.

The truck came with goodyear wrangler kevlar tires, I do not recommend then, the fill up with mud instantly and do not clean them selves out.I've been using the 4x4 often just on my property

The weather and life is not cooperating with me so I don't have the Eyebolts in the bed yet. so no camper yet.

I have gotten 2 stall mats and fit them in. My longer pllan is to remove the bed and put a CM ALRD flatbed on, and a Buckstop Outback Bumper on the front with Baja design lighting.

It's a cold rainy day here in East TN so I probably will not get the camper on again this weekend.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#3 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 13 February 2021 - 02:41 PM

Nice truck, what's your fuel mileage?

#4 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

Nice truck, what's your fuel mileage?

according to the computer 12-14, Thats just local rural driving, I haven't really checked it yet

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:52 PM

Other than mileage, in your research, did you see anything negative about the engine?  I may move to a a dually at some point, and I’m not sure I can justify another diesel.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Other than mileage, in your research, did you see anything negative about the engine?  I may move to a a dually at some point, and I’m not sure I can justify another diesel.

None, the best source has been Ford Truck Enthusiasts. 

There is surprisingly little talk about the 7.3, other than many threads "gas or diesel?"

There are a couple guys that are hotshot drivers and another that must be a heavy equipment serviceman. the later had over 100,000 mi on a F550 in less than 1 year, 5 sets of tires, a set of spark plugs, 2 transfer cases, little to no problems with the engine or transmission. As I recall he grosses about 15000 lbs.

I have recently learned that the company I work for makes several transmission components and are bidding on some engine components, the comment was they are really beefy in comparison to similar products.

IMHO its a big heavy truck, I am not expecting huge gas mileage. 

I got about 15mpg with the F150 with the camper on, close to 19mpg empty, on the highway, 70-75mph.

If I get close to 14mpg empty with this truck I'll be happy.

The diesel is a $10k buy in, and I hear lots of horror stories on repair bills.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:02 PM

I love my 6.7, but I’ve had 6 turbos in it.   It’s a great truck, but my confidence about the turbo in this particular truck has taken a hit.  As we have a heavy hard side that will be around for quite a while,  a DRW truck might make driving a bit easier.  Decisions...

I am haunted by waters

#8 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 13 February 2021 - 06:46 PM

Nice truck!

I myself just purchased a 16 F150 super cab 8 foot bed with HDPP and excited about the increase in payload from my 14 F150 (from 1500 to 2600).. We recently aquired  a 2013 grandby and realized we were going to be overweight quite a bit.. I was thinking about a newer truck anyway, and found one with only 45k on it..  

Attached Thumbnails

• new camper.jpg
  • new camper2.jpg

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#9 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:50 PM

I love my 6.7, but I’ve had 6 turbos in it.   It’s a great truck, but my confidence about the turbo in this particular truck has taken a hit.  As we have a heavy hard side that will be around for quite a while,  a DRW truck might make driving a bit easier.  Decisions...

Wow 6 turbos, any idea why they are failing?  most of the problems I read about with the diesel are Def related and people who use them for short trips have different exhaust problems. a diesel really does best when run hard.

the Dually will give a tremendous boost in payload, the GVWR goes up to 14000lb. The guys I know with them also say they are much more stable under load. BUT are not as good off pavement.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#10 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:54 PM

Nice truck!

I myself just purchased a 16 F150 super cab 8 foot bed with HDPP and excited about the increase in payload from my 14 F150 (from 1500 to 2600).. We recently aquired  a 2013 grandby and realized we were going to be overweight quite a bit.. I was thinking about a newer truck anyway, and found one with only 45k on it..  

nice truck, I think there was many changes from a 2011 hdpp to a 2016 HDPP, I had the bastard 7 lug wheels, and your aluminum body adds a lot to the payload.

In East TN the truck market is such that its not worth buying used. I get Xplan price and the price of a heavily used truck is too close to a new one.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users