• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

Today as I watch the snow fall I've started thinking about next winter.  Do I want to become a snowbird?  It makes me wonder how hard it is to find places to spend the night to camp.  I wouldn't want to stay a long time in one place.  I would like to travel and explore the south without camping reservations.  Boondocking is fine, I actually prefer it to using a campground.  

What are people's experiences?  Is the south being over run with RV snowbirds?  I don't need solitude.  I just don't want to have to worry about finding a campsite. 

Thanks for any input.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

I'm doing that - avoiding 'winter' in southern latitudes - now.
To answer your question depends on what you mean by "the south". I'm camped in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in very-southern AZ, and it hasn't been hard to find a site here, and there's LOTS of BLM land for boondocking all over AZ and NM and southern CA. But if you mean The South, as in TX and states eastward there isn't much boondocking at all because there isn't much public land.
As soon as TX gets out of its current freakish deep freeze I'm heading that way, but it's been hard (searching campground reservation websites) to find public campgrounds with more than a day or two in a row open - along the Gulf, anyway. Inland South (but still in TX, LA, etc) it's a little more available but still campsites are scarce on weekends.
I think the crowding is a combination of "COVID camping" as well as the usual winter southward migration of retired northerners. It's more crowded this winter than when I was in the South last winter.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

Thanks.  That sounds encouraging.  My "south" is west of Texas.  

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:39 PM

Thanks.  That sounds encouraging.  My "south" is west of Texas.

Then, if nothing else then you'll find a lifetime of boondockable BLM land!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:26 AM

Then, if nothing else then you'll find a lifetime of boondockable BLM land!

nothing wrong about that-could be allot worse places to go :D!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:06 AM

Just back from 3 months doing just that. Organ pipe very nice, Campground pretty full but able to get space mid week. Spent night in rv park in why, in order to store trailer, while touring organ pipe.

Quartsite and all of western az, eastern cal, full as I have seen in last 4-5 years. In spite of covid, and no Canadians. But still room. Lot easier with just truck camper and not pulling anything to get back of pavement

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

I might give it a try once my obligations here go away.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:12 PM

We spent the month of January in Southern Arizona.  We had been there before so knew where we wanted to go.  We generally prefer camping in undeveloped locations but didn't specifically have that information.  Because of the increase in camping activity, we made reservations in four state parks and found all to be nice places to be.  Yep, more people than we'd like but had power and spaces are larger and more widely spaced than you'll find in commercial parks.  

Our method was to go to a park, set up the 20 foot travel trailer and then explore daily.  We ranged pretty widely and came back in the evenings or late afternoons.

Organ Pipe CG is nice (no power), Patagonia SP was great.  we had a kayak and spend some of each day on the lake.  Lots to see around Kartchner Caverns SP.  Lost Dutchman is a beautiful park, but close to Phoenix.  showers available at all except OrganPipe.

If you know remote sites you like, maybe a mixture of SP's and remote sites.  

We finished the month with a night at the La Posada Inn in Winslow.  If you aren't aware of it, check it out.  rate was reasonable, restaurant is wonderful and the hotel is special as well...  laposada.org

#9 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

Yes. Great way to do it!

Ditto on La posada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users