Photo

How to move camper from driveway to garage?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:51 AM

I am trying to get my camper into my garage so no one steals it on the street. My garage door is too low to back my FWC in while on my truck bed. I also have a typical lip created by the garage concrete slab 1" or so above the driveway asphalt, and maybe a 1 degree incline on the driveway up to the slab.

How do you all move your camper around when it isn't on the truck? I have electric jacks to get it off the truck.

Thanks!

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 February 2021 - 03:01 AM

Most people use either a homemade dolly or a harbor freight trailer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:10 AM

Dealing with the 1" driveway/garage lip: a 1x4 board, shaved down to a taper might work as a temporary solution. Topping cement would be more permanent.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#4 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:54 AM

For reference, this is a good thread for this topic, even addresses the concrete lip:

https://www.wanderth...-build-a-dolly/

#5 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:39 PM

I use an old pop-up camper frame.

alaskan-on-trailer.jpg

#6 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:38 AM

Man, those folding harbor freight trailers look perfect. If only there was a way to get one in Anchorage, Alaska.

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:49 AM

Those Harbor freight trailers would fold up like a pretzel....a camper setting on a trailer is fairly awkward / heavy

If you do try a harbor freight trailer avoid the temptation to move your camper around much....and maybe reset the jacks when you get it inside the garage.

FWIW

David Graves

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:38 PM

A HF trailer will work, and I think my weight on the trailer was around 1400-1500 lbs.
would not recommend putting it on the road. From street to garage only for me. Check your measurements as mine just barely fit, and yes to putting the jacks down for stability.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users