• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

Anyone have some recent experience with sourcing and installing a backup camera lens on bumper or camper?  the last discussion i saw on this site was 2017.

I have a 2015 GMC with backup lens on tailgate. When i install camper - no backup camera. I found a backup lens kit on Camera-Source, which says the harness will match up the the vehicle.

Was hoping to find a lens that would work from bumper, to minimize 'stuff' on the back of the camper.

Anyone have a recommendation??  would like to find one with a compatible wiring harness.

thx

go

Oregon

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

I installed a backup camera that mounts to the top of a matching license plate frame.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:05 PM

I installed a backup camera that mounts to the top of a matching license plate frame.

ok, great.  do you happen to know make/model/source ?

an do you like it ?

Oregon

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:09 PM

ok, great.  do you happen to know make/model/source ?

an do you like it ?

Oh, so long ago but I'll try. When I first installed a backup camera I bought a license plate frame/ backup camera combo. It was from Pioneer. The camera attached with a couple screws to the frame. Two years ago the camera stopped working and I replaced the camera and retrofitted the new to the original camera spot on the frame.

It works great for us.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:40 PM

I got mine from Camera Source. Bracket screws on to the license plate. Harness is plug and play. Works great. 2017 Ram.

#6 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:03 AM

Checkout this link: https://www.wanderth...-off/?hl=camera

I am very happy with the Camera Source camera. They cover most pickup models and they connect to the trucks wiring and display. Standalone backup cameras are cheaper but you have to wire them, power them, and figure out where to put the display on the dashboard. The one plus to standalone is continuous rear view display.

Edited by Jack, 20 February 2021 - 12:06 AM.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#7 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:40 AM

ok, thx all !  i think i will go camera source route.

Oregon

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:48 AM

Checkout this link: https://www.wanderth...-off/?hl=camera

I am very happy with the Camera Source camera. They cover most pickup models and they connect to the trucks wiring and display. Standalone backup cameras are cheaper but you have to wire them, power them, and figure out where to put the display on the dashboard. The one plus to standalone is continuous rear view display.

thx for the link. i used the search, but came up with an older thread

Oregon

#9 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:07 PM

I purchased a factory camera from Ford dealer and installed in the lower rear bed panel.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160423_180456.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users