10 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

Best I can tell this is not another story of following the gps gone wrong. Seems they did have sleeping bags, food and water but failed to tell anyone where they were going.

Visiting that area in the Winter? Its remote. No cell phone coverage. Ham radio coverage is spotty at best. Might hit Cedarville if you get really lucky. 

If the off duty Sheriff deputy hadn't run across them this story could have been tragic. 

Definitely the time you want some sort of Sat phone/device. At least they stayed with the vehicle. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:18 PM

Link?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

Reckon that's Stolpa country, eh?

Looking forward to reading about it.

Foy

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:30 PM

Reckon that's Stolpa country, eh?

Looking forward to reading about it.

Foy

Yup, the historic Stolpa country. I did a quick search and didn't turn anything up. Riley, tell your human companion to post the link. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

One link -

KOLO8

states black rock desert

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:18 PM

It was on Reno TV here this weekend. Yep-It would have been allot worse if that  off duty sheriff would have been out there! How many times have we said " Hey-know about where you are going ---before you go and be prepared". This high desert area  can been bad-in fact we had a whole thread about it called "Getting Unstuck" -right Mr Mark BC.  I guess they prepared by looking at "Burning Man Clips" :wacko:, Happy Valentines Day!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 22 February 2021 - 10:19 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:52 PM

So many people travel to places they have only read very little about.

They have just heard or seen a story about a "great" place to visit.

Most people don't travel with a "crew" like our friend Dr. Strong to help

get them out of a problem.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:56 AM

Had a HS kid and his GF trail us in his dad's JK on our 2018 Elevation Extremes trip. This starts out at Badwater and gets more remote from there, what could possibly go wrong? They knew the general route due to a discussion that his dad had had at work with one of us. We played hop-scotch with our various stops until we were pretty remote and it turned out that their parents had no idea where they were going. We put them in the middle of the group and kept them there until we were done. There could be dragons out there and in their bravado they wrote them off as a mere annoyance. His dad got a full report the next week. I think the JK got sold because I haven't seen it around since and it was distinctive enough that I'd noticed it before.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:22 AM

In the last 30 years, Bear Gap in Southern Oregon has three instances of stranded motorists, two of which ended in a fatality.  James Kim died of hypothermia, and Dewitt Finley starved to death after being stranded for 9 weeks.  In addition to being prepared to survive a winter stranding, having communication abilities such as InReach, and most important leave a travel plan with friends and family.

I am glad the Davis couple was found safe.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users