57 replies to this topic

#41 anthonym

anthonym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:29 PM

A rechargable blinking LED light on the collar is very helpful at night, particularly if you're in an area where it's reasonable to have them off leash. Particularly in the winter when "night" starts at 5:30 PM. After burning through a couple non-rechargeable (and non-waterproof) ones, we sprang for a waterproof rechargeable option from Ruffwear and have used it daily for years without issue.

A bear bell or jingle bell can be similarly helpful during the day. The sound lets you know where the dog is, also helps keep the dog from surprising anyone/anything else. It's particularly good for running/skiing/biking where the dog might be behind you. Obviously you should only do this if the sound isn't going to be a nuisance to you and others—on trails where there are other people around to be bothered by it, I probably won't have the dog off leash anyway.

#42 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

I've been using these for years. https://www.ebay.com...eAAAOSwC6da8ROT

They last about 45 minutes depending on color and recharge in about ten minutes. A black dog disappears at night without one. Keeps me safer too when going for a walk. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#43 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:04 PM

Not a bad idea! Anyway back to camping kitties!   In all these years I have seen only two camping kiddie experiments-one successful-one not!  As a starter, I have never owned a cat that given a choice, would have anything to do with any vehicle. Many years ago I was camping up at Manchester SP on the Northern  California  Coast when this flat bed truck pulls into a nearby camp spot. The camper itself was rather unusual in that it looked like  one of those "Ginger Bread Shingle " houses you saw in the old fairy  tales (really). Anyway this guy gets out and he has this very pissed off and unhappy looking  cat in a halter and lease and starts  to pull it down the road in an unsuccessful attempt to walk it. 

Case number two, I was in the parking lot of the local super mart when a big RV pulls up and this gal gets out ( as her husband goes into the store) and begins to walk a cat and with no problems at all-just like you would a dog! It looked happy and did not fight the lease. So I asked her how she could do that with the kitty,  and the answer was simple , they  was retired and her cat was raised  from  kitty hood to like  both the rv and taking a walk and a pee just like a dog would!  So back to the original question, what ever pet you take camping-including parrots- ya got to train them (and yourself too) or you could have a very unhappy camping trip.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 12 March 2021 - 08:23 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#44 doghouse_riley

doghouse_riley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

I haven’t ever camped with a pet before but I read its very common. What would be your tips for those people who would like to camp with dog?

Thanks

Another thing to consider if it hasn't been brought up already is many areas (popular national parks in particular) strictly limit where pets are allowed even if on a leash. 

#45 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 20 March 2021 - 01:50 AM

One challenge is what to do with the dogs when you want to run into a grocery store or museum.  I have a gun safe that I have cabled to a seat.  I put anything worth stealing into the safe.  I then leave the windows down when I leave.  There is nothing to steal except my dogs (horror if that happens).  Depending on the location, sometimes I try to be only gone 5 minutes.  But at some locations like the Tonopah Outdoor Mining Museum, I was comfortable leaving my old dog for an hour on a rather cool day.  The young dog visited the museum with me.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#46 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:53 AM

As for leaving dogs in the vehicle-  I've built systems to leave the vehicle running, AC on, doors locked, windows up and vehicle cannot be driven, no key in it, shifter is locked, steering is locked.

I also monitor audio from the vehicle interior via 2 way radio. 

Even have a thermometer with a setpoint and audio alarm in case AC fails. 

More than once I've run out from a quick lunch to barking from the vehicle fearing the worst- but luckily it has always been triggered by something external.   Also have a placard on the dash with my cell number if there is a problem.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#47 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:00 AM

Love to know how to set something like that up in mine. I currently open the back slider window in the cab... built a screen window so it is always open for the dog. But something like you have would make me feel better when I travel south and it is hot out. I have a diesel truck and feel okay about running it... rather use my batteries in camper to run the AC but that is probably too complex ... Anyway would like to know how to set up what you have.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#48 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:09 PM

Love to know how to set something like that up in mine. I currently open the back slider window in the cab... built a screen window so it is always open for the dog. But something like you have would make me feel better when I travel south and it is hot out. I have a diesel truck and feel okay about running it... rather use my batteries in camper to run the AC but that is probably too complex ... Anyway would like to know how to set up what you have.

The problem is every particular vehicle model is different- no one design works.

There are companies that make something like what I described mainly for Police vehicles- might try to search for them and see what they have.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#49 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:50 PM

Good tip on the companies that specialize in LE/FRs. They also offer power systems, lighting, etc, but often they’re too complex for our needs. And the prices...? But if it’s the only thing available you might as well get out your checkbook. (If anybody uses a checkbook anymore 😂)

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#50 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:17 PM

Huh, my remote starter for the truck does all that.  Nothing fancy there.  Or am I missing something?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Camping, Camping Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users