5 replies to this topic

#1 Herbie

Herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

Hello Alaskan owners - We're still on the hunt for an upgrade from our current rig, and we're having a hard time meeting all our needs.  I like the Alaskans for a lot of reasons, but they're rare enough that it's hard to evaluate them via photos only.

I have an oddly specific question that stems from our dissatisfaction when looking at Four Wheel Camper front dinette models - namely that on anything smaller than the Grandby (and even that model to some degree), the front-dinette is really only big enough for two people.  The table and seating area is quite large (large enough to make a decent sized berth, which is a must-have for us as we travel as a family of three), but the placement of the water tank against the front wall cuts into the leg room so severely that unless someone props their leg up on the protrusion, you simply can't seat three people at that table.

From photos of the FD Alaskans (6.5' and 8' models), it seems like a similar layout may be in play with a similar limitation.  Can anyone comment (or better yet, add a photo!) on feasibility for seating 3-4 people at the front-dinette in these?

Thanks!

#2 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:18 AM

We have had dinner for four multiple times, not the best extended evening setting but workable. 

photo was too big to attach.

2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

#3 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:37 AM

Hi Herbie:

I'll review my Alaskan which is sitting in the barn for the winter season and give you some feedback shortly.  I have a 2018 10ft Cabover ordered new and had Brian Wheat do a little customization to it.  Our dinette seats are 50 in wide on each side BUT I increased the size of the freshwater tank which sits forward on the front wall under the end of the dinette table (tank placement is really a center of gravity issue) and 2 people can still sit on one side fairly comfortably.  We have travelled with 3 folks but its a pain...especially at night when you have to crawl over the converted dinette sleeper to get to the toilet from the cabover bed.  I looked hard at 4 Wheel campers as well which was my runner up to the Alaskan and in the end went with the Alaskan whose quality is top notch.  Only real problem I see with Alaskans or any truck camper is storage which is a never ending calculation you have to make every trip but we have gotten much better at it with each time out.  I started with the truck first and then moved on to the camper choices.    All the best on your decisions.

Cheers...Lloyd Anderson     

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#4 SER

SER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff Arizona

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:54 PM

Hello Herbie,

Not sure, if you are interested in looking at a side door entry.  It may solve the 3 - 4 person seating and sleeping and crawl over and more.  Our 3rd person was our dog and he sometimes would go under our feet, sleeping while we were either working or eating.  Plenty of room and the rear dinette makes into a nice bed.  It is difficult to make a camper of smaller size meet all the wants.  For us the comfort and quality of the AK in winter or summer and the room, storage design fits almost all.  The COG is good so far on all accounts we are able to go on out of the way rocky! steep!  wilderness roads.  I was on roads I wish I wasn't and the truck and camper did fine in 4 low.   

After over 300 nights in our 7 foot CO Alaskan, we still love it.  I have made some mods, like making a snap in screen for the entry when needed.  I like trucks with a flatbed tray.  I have sides for it when, if ever I have the Camper off.   They are versatile and now the new design of my second flatbed tray (XP) the ease of stairs pull out, putting on and removing our AK it is even more of a pleasure.

I agree with Lloyd on all accounts.  The only thing is we do have plenty of storage for us. On our trip to Tuk, we had a 2 person inflatable canoe and all the fun gear we needed including being able to bring back some large antler finds.  Have fun working through the process.  There are a lot of ideas and designs out out there.

Below are some links of the first build AK camper/350 Ford ext.cab then a story with our now 3500 Chevy crew cab with same camper. 

Have fun figuring

Suzanne

https://www.wanderth...e-arctic-ocean/

https://www.instagram.com/walkerab0ut/

https://www.wanderth...an flat build

#5 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:31 AM

Plenty of room sitting with the pup after chasing birds.  She thought it was her camper.

Attached Thumbnails

• unknown.jpg

2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

#6 Herbie

Herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:33 PM

Cool, thanks all.

Agreed that side-entry layouts offer better function for 3+ people.  We're likely still focused on used-market campers, which limits the number of flatbed-based options we're likely to see, but we're definitely watching for these.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users