#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:34 PM

Good afternoon folks-

Terri and I are doing a little planning for an upcoming trip and was wondering if charcoal cooking fires are typically allowed in areas that have a fire ban. I have heard that propane grills are usually allowed but haven’t seen any comments on charcoal fires. I would imagine that asking a ranger is the best idea.

What have your experiences been?

Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:47 PM

In our neck of the woods, charcoal grills are prohibited during fire restrictions.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:17 PM

In our neck of the woods, charcoal grills are prohibited during fire restrictions.

Same in the PNW.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:22 PM

Yep during certain fire restrictions in Calif even in campgrounds only propane stoves are allowed, but no charcoal grills. If you are coming  California, check the CDF fire web site or the local BLM/USFS office for  local fire restrictions and get a free campfire permit-ya have to take a test  if you do it on the internet,and one of the questions concerns what you can use to cook on. Nevada also has certain stove restrictions during red flag warnings in NW Nevada.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:54 AM

same up here north of the border....

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:00 AM

In the past we had fires nearly every camping trip and cooked on charcoal frequently. (I remember in particular a December in Organ Pipe when we had high winds and below freezing temperatures. We cooked our Lukeville purchased steaks with charcoal on the elevated grill and ate in the cab of the SUV. Man that was a miserable night in our tent, but dawn was perfect.) Nowadays we never even light an open fire and just go with propane. I miss the cheery fire, but I don't miss feeding it and getting smoke all over our clothes. And it just seems easier to avoid the risk of starting some conflagration by accident.  

Edited by AWG_Pics, 26 February 2021 - 02:03 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#7 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:03 AM

Terri and I are doing a little planning for an upcoming trip and was wondering if charcoal cooking fires are typically allowed in areas that have a fire ban. I have heard that propane grills are usually allowed but haven’t seen any comments on charcoal fires. I would imagine that asking a ranger is the best idea.

On Federal land there are 3 stages of fire restrictions.  States/counties/ranger districts can have their own added restrictions.

Stage 1: charcoal fires only allowed in permanent, constructed fire pits/grates.

Stage 2: having a fire that does not have a shut off valve prohibited.

Stage 3: you aren't supposed to be there (area closed to all activity).

https://gacc.nifc.go...ction_Chart.pdf

It is always a good idea to ask a Ranger about conditions (not just fire) for the area you are going to be in.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#8 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:06 PM

As with JaSAn statement, Colorado restrictions are similar. Guadalupe Mts National Park had a specific sign prohibiting charcoal fires in addition to the No Campfire Sign

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#9 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:11 PM

We were camping in southern Utah, wood fires were a big no. Charcoal fires were ok, BUT you need to pack out your ashes. 

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone! That’s what we were thinking but Terri said why don’t you just ask the folks on WTW since they collectively have more experience in dealing with these restrictions.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users