#1 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

My camper has a shore power AC circuit and a PV circuit and battery. The DC circuit is completely independent of my truck's electrical system.

Currently, all camper DC circuits ground to a bus bar that's tied to the battery but I want to tie that bus bar to the camper's chassis. I believe the AC circuit is grounded to the chassis as well.

Can I use the same chassis ground for both DC and AC circuits? If yes then I plan on running a ground wire from the DC bus bar to the AC panel's ground bus.

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

Electrically you can and should use the same ground and tie it to the chassis, that way any AC fault where a hot wire comes in contact with a metal part of the camper will trip the breaker/GFCI and not just energize your frame with 110V. 

However, mechanically it may be better to use physically separate bus bars - one for the DC negative connections and a different one for the AC ground wires and then have those electrically bonded.  This is just to keep it clear which system is which, you don't want to accidentally tie a DC wire into an AC circuit. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:29 PM

Thank you.  I'll ground the DC bus bar to the chassis near the battery.

Follow-up question - some of the DC devices like the inverter, AC-DC charger, and PV controller have a separate grounding lug.  Should those lugs tie back to the same DC bus bar or to a separate one that then grounds to the chassis?  It seems that if the current bus bar that the battery is tied to is also grounded to the chassis that it will be OK to ground those lugs there.

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:39 PM

Yes, you can tie those to the same bus bar.    

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:32 PM

Tying all the DC loads to a bus bar is much preferred to having many grounds all over the camper.  Ground wires can fail, and then you are using the framing of the camper to regularly carry current, which could lead to corrosion.

Also, knowing where all the grounds are makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier down the road.

Plus, it is visually more clear where the Shunt for your battery monitor needs to go.  

Vic

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 March 2021 - 06:29 AM

When you talk about the "ground" for your AC power I hope you mean the safety ground and not the neutral current carrying wire.  I would not connect the AC shore power neutral to anything other than the neutral of the AC loads.   

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:32 PM

In a house the AC Neutral and the ground terminals are common at the breaker panel. Nowhere else, just there. It was a licensed electrician who pointed this out to me as he thought it ironically amusing.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:29 AM

That he found it ironically amusing seems to indicate he doesn't understand there are good reasons to only tie the neutral to the safety ground at one location, which is a little scary given he's a licensed electrician. 

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

He found it amusing because people make such a big deal out of keeping them separate when they're electrically common. If they're electrically common then they're electrically common and where that happens really is of no consequence. That you might not want it to happen more than once was a given, but that everyone gets so wound up about where it happens amused him.

I'm pretty sure that he fully understood the reasons behind it. It was the people getting wound around the axle about it that amused him.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 March 2021 - 04:56 PM

I would find it amusing when he has a problem with a GFI receptacle blowing up because downstream there is a connection from neutral to ground.

I stumped me for quite a while. I found 1 stray strand hanging from the neutral contacting the grounded metal box.

so yes they are the same electrically, BUT a ground should never carry current.

I believe that current code requires a separate buss bar for ground and neutral, They are only bonded at the main breaker box, if there is a sub panel they are separate. I don't do household electrical work for other people so I don't keep up on codes.

Edited by Machinebuilder, 24 March 2021 - 04:59 PM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users