Shunt wiring question

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

My batteries have two positive posts and two negative posts. Can I use the post without anything attached to them for the shunt? In the picture they are covered with a plastic cap. Thanks. Attached File  IMG_7444.JPG   444.15K   47 downloads

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

Not an expert here but seems like you can also attach wires to the non used posts.

Your battery is just made for multi applications, (different cable ends).

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

Typically a shunt has to be in the circuit. So it could be attached to that unused post, but then everything attached to the used post needs to be removed and attached to the other terminal on the shunt. Which means that the wire between the shunt and the battery needs to be big enough to carry the current from all of the existing wires.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:04 AM

Typically a shunt has to be in the circuit. So it could be attached to that unused post, but then everything attached to the used post needs to be removed and attached to the other terminal on the shunt. Which means that the wire between the shunt and the battery needs to be big enough to carry the current from all of the existing wires.

So I think you are saying it would just be best to run the ground from the post with the ground attached and the little positive air from the shunt to the post already being used.

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:14 AM

One of the shunt's big terminals should be connected to the battery's '-' terminal, either one.

The wires currently attached to the battery's '-' terminal, all of them, should be moved to the other big terminal on the shunt.

The shunt has to be between the battery '-' and every other wire. Only one wire should be connected to the battery '-' terminal, the one from one of the big terminals on the shunt.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:26 AM

One of the shunt's big terminals should be connected to the battery's '-' terminal, either one.

The wires currently attached to the battery's '-' terminal, all of them, should be moved to the other big terminal on the shunt.

The shunt has to be between the battery '-' and every other wire. Only one wire should be connected to the battery '-' terminal, the one from one of the big terminals on the shunt.

Thanks for your replies. I feel thick. My batteries are in parallel. I was going to take the ground from the battery with the ground going to the ‘-‘ bus bar and put the shunt between it and the bus bar. My understanding is that the batteries wired in parallel look like one battery. I’m confused about moving both ‘-‘ wires to the shunt. I was using this diagram for reference (with the understanding that the two parallel batteries look like one)

Edited by Outnabout, 02 March 2021 - 06:44 AM.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:27 AM

Look at the batteries first.  There will be a wire going from +ve to +ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off of those two +ve battery posts feeding the fuse panel and other loads.  Those can stay as is, or if you want to improve things, ALL the load wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the batteries.

There will also be a wire going from the -ve to -ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off (you mentioned one going to the -ve bus bar... are there others?) and providing grounds to the loads.  ALL the negative wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the -ve posts, and preferably the OTHER battery from the one that has all the +VE wires attached to it.  

Consolidating all the wires on the opposite battery's respective -ve and +ve posts balances the load between the two batteries better.  It is also visually a good way to keep track of things.

It should now we apparent that if you do as Thom suggests above, the BATT side of the shunt has to go on the post of the battery with all the negative wires on it.  Put ALL of the wires that are now on that post (except the one joining it to the other battery) on the LOAD side of the shunt.

And you your original question, yes, you can use the "extra" posts... each of those is physically attached inside the case of the battery to its neighboring post.  

I hope that helps.

#8 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:19 AM

Look at the batteries first. There will be a wire going from +ve to +ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off of those two +ve battery posts feeding the fuse panel and other loads. Those can stay as is, or if you want to improve things, ALL the load wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the batteries.

There will also be a wire going from the -ve to -ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off (you mentioned one going to the -ve bus bar... are there others?) and providing grounds to the loads. ALL the negative wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the -ve posts, and preferably the OTHER battery from the one that has all the +VE wires attached to it.

Consolidating all the wires on the opposite battery's respective -ve and +ve posts balances the load between the two batteries better. It is also visually a good way to keep track of things.

It should now we apparent that if you do as Thom suggests above, the BATT side of the shunt has to go on the post of the battery with all the negative wires on it. Put ALL of the wires that are now on that post (except the one joining it to the other battery) on the LOAD side of the shunt.

And you your original question, yes, you can use the "extra" posts... each of those is physically attached inside the case of the battery to its neighboring post.

I hope that helps.

Thanks. Getting clearer.

#9 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:49 AM

Look at the batteries first. There will be a wire going from +ve to +ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off of those two +ve battery posts feeding the fuse panel and other loads. Those can stay as is, or if you want to improve things, ALL the load wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the batteries.

There will also be a wire going from the -ve to -ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off (you mentioned one going to the -ve bus bar... are there others?) and providing grounds to the loads. ALL the negative wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the -ve posts, and preferably the OTHER battery from the one that has all the +VE wires attached to it.

Consolidating all the wires on the opposite battery's respective -ve and +ve posts balances the load between the two batteries better. It is also visually a good way to keep track of things.

It should now we apparent that if you do as Thom suggests above, the BATT side of the shunt has to go on the post of the battery with all the negative wires on it. Put ALL of the wires that are now on that post (except the one joining it to the other battery) on the LOAD side of the shunt.

I hope that helps.

Ok. So I have read and reread and think I understand.

Here goes- one wire from negative post on battery to BATT side of shunt. If I move all negatives to one battery as you suggest, all those wires would be shifted from negative battery terminal to the LOAD side of shunt. Essentially the shunt is a “bridge” between the battery and the ground bar.

Thanks again. Hope my interpretation is correct and understandable.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:55 PM

Sounds correct.  A picture once you are done could help confirm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users