• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Balzlysb

Balzlysb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:38 AM

I am wondering if anyone knows how to access the sail switch on a 2014 FWC Hawk model that does not have an external access panel.  My heater blower fan turns on but no ignition.  The camper is currently hooked up to shore power and I have replaced the thermostat, but I am still having the same issue.  I think it may be the sail switch from what I have been reading, but I don't know how to access to see if it is dirty?  

One other issue is that after turning the thermostat on a couple of times, the fan clicks on and off after a few seconds and then runs the 30 second cycle and then turns off without ignition, any thoughts?

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:15 AM

First thought is to turn off the propane at the tank. wait a while,  tap the tank with the wooden jam stick used to tighten the tanks in the compartment. then slowly crack open the propane again so that the tip over valve doesn't engage. Light the camp stove to ensure that propane has reached the interior appliances, then try lighting the furnace again. If that doesn't work, call FWC service dept to get some next steps.

I'm sure that others have better ideas.

Pail

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:20 AM

We have a 2014 Grandby and never had an issue. Not sure about any Sail Switch. That issue is on a different furnace that FWC switched to on 2016+/-. Inside there is a re-sent switch that is in the space between one of the vent fins. As mentioned, disconnect the propane, reconnect, light the stove and then try the furnace again. Does your Thermostat have batteries? If so test them. Don't ask how I know[emoji16]

Edited by longhorn1, 02 March 2021 - 02:22 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:41 AM

Just a note: my 2015 Hawk has an Atwood furnace with the sail switch, I just checked it the other day, was dust free. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:42 PM

We had a similar problem with our 2014 Hawk when it was only a few months old. It was working at first but became harder to light and finally stopped. Since it was still under warranty, a local service center checked it out. He had to disassemble the heater from inside the camper by removing the cover plate. Once taken apart there are two metal prongs that create the spark that ignites the heater. As I recall, the factory setting for their spacing at the ends is about 1". There was 3" between them. As this piece is internal, it could only have been installed that way.

My guess is when new they were still able to spark even through the large gap. But as the ends became carbon covered from use they stopped functioning. They were set to the proper gap and we have never had an issue with the heater since.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Heater, sail switch, access heater sail switch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users