• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 flyoversea

flyoversea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:01 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have 2020 RAM 2500 HEMI, I am getting a new Hawk installed in a few weeks. The truck comes with LT285/60R20 Firestone Transforce AT and 20 inch wheel. I am not impressed with the stock tire, already had one flat 2K miles so far. I would like to swap out these tires for more off-road capable ones. The truck has off-road package with Bilstein suspension. I also had Firestone airbags installed on the rear.
My questions are:
1 should I swap out the 20inch with 18inch wheel to gain more tire wall for airing down? How much differences to make? I was told by some shop, 20 inch tires are more available to handle the heavy load .
2. Should I increase the tire size to 35” to gain more clearance ? What’s the drop back? I will attempt it only if the 35” spare can fit the under bed compartment. I do not want to add external carrier at this time.

I hope some one with the similar truck can chime in , thank you !

#2 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:13 PM

I have a Grandby on a 2008 Dodge 2500 and the load is not too much for the truck.  I have added Timbens on both the rear and the front, they are both cheaper than air bags and less of a problem.  Their only downside is they are not adjustable, but they do keep the truck level and they do not tear when the suspension is over extended.

My truck came with 17" wheels and I though that was too big at the time, now all the trucks come with 20" which in my opinion are not for offroad.  I run the stock 265 70 17's E rated.  I have been happy with my Michelin A/T's and, on annual trips to Baja, I air them down to 45 psi for washboard, and as low as 18 psi for short driving in the sand, like launching my boat. Normally I run 66 front and 76 rear with the camper on and loaded.   Since I usually cary thing up top on my rack, I would not want the truck to be any higher which 35" tires would do.  It depends on what you are doing, but my truck seems to have plenty of ground clearance for what I do.  

#3 flyoversea

flyoversea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:00 AM

I have a Grandby on a 2008 Dodge 2500 and the load is not too much for the truck.  I have added Timbens on both the rear and the front, they are both cheaper than air bags and less of a problem.  Their only downside is they are not adjustable, but they do keep the truck level and they do not tear when the suspension is over extended.

My truck came with 17" wheels and I though that was too big at the time, now all the trucks come with 20" which in my opinion are not for offroad.  I run the stock 265 70 17's E rated.  I have been happy with my Michelin A/T's and, on annual trips to Baja, I air them down to 45 psi for washboard, and as low as 18 psi for short driving in the sand, like launching my boat. Normally I run 66 front and 76 rear with the camper on and loaded.   Since I usually cary thing up top on my rack, I would not want the truck to be any higher which 35" tires would do.  It depends on what you are doing, but my truck seems to have plenty of ground clearance for what I do.  

Thank you for your advice. It seems to be wise to swap out the 20" with 17" or 18" now since I am going to get a new set of tires. I also plan to load some skybox on roof rack. I may just stick with 33" tires. That's a good point. Thanks. 

#4 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:12 AM

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 (Power Wagon) and first off a 35"tire will fit no issues, even non-pw's. IMHO that's the perfect tire size for these trucks. And ditch the 20's, 17's are the best bet. You might even be able to find a set of PW take-offs on Craigslist...or AEV is selling the silver Saltas for $100 each, killer deal. A 35" tire will fit in the stock spare location...but barely. Anything larger and not a chance.

Edited by Adventurebound, 05 March 2021 - 02:14 AM.

#5 flyoversea

flyoversea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:44 AM

I have a 2020 Ram 2500 (Power Wagon) and first off a 35"tire will fit no issues, even non-pw's. IMHO that's the perfect tire size for these trucks. And ditch the 20's, 17's are the best bet. You might even be able to find a set of PW take-offs on Craigslist...or AEV is selling the silver Saltas for $100 each, killer deal. A 35" tire will fit in the stock spare location...but barely. Anything larger and not a chance.

#6 flyoversea

flyoversea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:46 AM

Thanks for the advice! Will check out AEV wheels!

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:37 PM

Beat me to it, another vote for 17" wheels if they'll fit over the brakes.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:14 PM

I'd recommend 17" or 18"; not 20".  Load Range E tires too.

I have 17" OEM wheels with 34" Toyo MTs.   

There may be more size selection in 20" these days however you only need one size if it fits your needs.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#9 flyoversea

flyoversea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:54 PM

I'd recommend 17" or 18"; not 20".  Load Range E tires too.

I have 17" OEM wheels with 34" Toyo MTs.   

There may be more size selection in 20" these days however you only need one size if it fits your needs.

Thank you.  I would definitely consider 17" or 18".

#10 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:10 AM

I was recently looking at weight ratings for my tires, and doing the chalk test stuff, etc. 
And got to thinking..  Do we really need E rated tires?  Mine are E rated.. KO2's.  
Bought my truck used.  The previous owner kept the pressures at 65 front, 75 rear. 
After doing the chalk test, I'm down to 35 front, 48 rear.  And looking at the charts for weight, technically, I am lower weight per wheel than the lowest weight on the charts for my size KO2's.  285/75R16. 

Heavy tires/wheels really cut in to gas mileage.   
but OTOH, I do go to rocky off road places..  Is that the main reason everyone recommends E rated?  So sharp rocks and other off-road things won't cut into them?  Because if you go by the numbers, I don't think we need them based on weight alone for the average fleet/hawk camper truck. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users